996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

HELP, White Smoke while driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 06:53 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would let the porsche dealer do the checking, after an event like that, you don't want to cause any future damage.. even starting the car after a traumatic event like that can cause future damage... just get it towed and wait to hear from them..
Old 01-15-2006, 03:04 AM
Khalid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

::::::: UPDATE :::::

OK, I took my car yesterday to Porsche workshop to get it inspected, they said it will take them 1 day to do different tests on the car the engine and try to observe any kind of a problem and after reciving a call today the results are ....

The Car is completely normal, there is nothing wrong with it no oil leaks, no coolant, absolutely nothing !!!

However, asking the mechanic of what was the possible cause of such an incident was narrowed down to one possible thing which is air-oil separator. Due to the hard driving and the way I was pushing my car too hard some how some way caused oil to burn.

NOW WHAT SHALL I DO ?

I have two possible choices in front of me ..

1. SELL THE CAR NOW…. (and drive a Toyota camry till I be able to afford a 996tt)
2. Drive the car 15,000 – 20,000 km more and risk any future damage
3. commit suicide <-- (optional in both cases)

Old 01-15-2006, 03:14 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep the car and just keep an eye on things. And don't get a Turbo! Get a new 997 GT3 (when they finally arrive) or the new Cayman S!
Old 01-15-2006, 03:25 AM
Khalid
Instructor

Originally Posted by Paul Marangoni
Keep the car and just keep an eye on things. And don't get a Turbo! Get a new 997 GT3 (when they finally arrive) or the new Cayman S!
am seeking a 550HP + daily driving street car

997GT3 would be too expensive and not efficent for daily driving more like a track car (too solid)

Cayman "S" is just another boxster and imo from a 911 i dont go down to cayman or boxster i keep on going higher

also, i assume that within next months when the 997TT arrives the 996's Turbo resell value would decrease (here in dubai) because people always go to the new one and deappreciate the old one's !

so am assuming a 20% decrease in 996TT values specially that they have been over produced when compared with the previous model 993TT
Old 01-15-2006, 03:33 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, I see your point. Nothing wrong with Turbos - I just don't like four-wheel-drive, that's all. Plus, that amount of power is nuts! Personally, I think my next sports car will be the next generation Acura NSX...but we'll see.....

I was at the auto show here in Los Angeles the other day, and that new Lexus concept car (http://www.lexus.com/about/concept/l...or_photos.html) looked really nice too....
Old 01-15-2006, 05:59 AM
Khalid
Instructor

Originally Posted by Paul Marangoni
Yeah, I see your point. Nothing wrong with Turbos - I just don't like four-wheel-drive, that's all. Plus, that amount of power is nuts! Personally, I think my next sports car will be the next generation Acura NSX...but we'll see.....

I was at the auto show here in Los Angeles the other day, and that new Lexus concept car (http://www.lexus.com/about/concept/l...or_photos.html) looked really nice too....
GT2 resell value is the same as 996TT
and personally i would love to have a moded 996TT over a GT2, i cant trust the way i drive ! 4-wheel drive is a must ...

its much more safe that the GT2 and more daily driving car (personal opinion)

and regarding the lexus - - - i dont know what happend to this brand now this cocepts if it didnt hold the lexus logo i would guess its a small version of a bugatti !!!
they do copy alot from other cars ...
and thru an experience with lexus i've had a 1999 LEXUS GS with a Supra twinturbo engine from the factory !
that car was really amazing and easy to to be moded 450HP +
mine had the stock turbos and only ECU upgrade which was around 340HP somewhere there

Last edited by Khalid; 08-24-2007 at 06:17 AM.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Khalid
3. commit suicide <-- (optional in both cases)

EXTREMELY TACKY AND IN VERY POOR TASTE.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:37 PM
Khalid
Instructor

Question

Originally Posted by LVDell
EXTREMELY TACKY AND IN VERY POOR TASTE.
even if its supposed to be a joke ?
Old 01-15-2006, 01:51 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

even if its supposed to be a joke ?
That just isn't somthing you joke about.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:15 PM
Khalid
Instructor

OK I appologies for saying that although i dont understand why you think such a joke is somehow offensive .

Sorry again ...
Old 01-15-2006, 07:34 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

...Un-stable oil pressure gauge, usually when driving and the accelerating the gauge raise smoothly up to the 5 (maybe littlie bit under the 5 indication line)

When the car is cold the gauge raise fast but the sooner the engine heats up the gauge become heavy and so smooth …. Some thing I noticed before this incident happened and maybe long time back that the gauge is unstable.. it doesn’t raise smoothly but while rising (accelerating & engine rpm going up) it suddenly keep vibrating up-down-up-down equally while raising. Once you step on it the gauge sticks on the 5

Did anybody notice the un-stable oil pressure gauge scenario?
I just had this exact problem with my gauge. Porsche service replaced the oil pressure sending unit under waranty and sure enough fixed the problem. It now goes up and down smoothly with rpm.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:12 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Jeezus! I pop back in after about 6 months and Bob is still blabbing the same old "my engine blew up" tune. Now I remember why I left this Forum.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:34 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Berny you are a riot!!!! Glad to see you back on the boards. Been the same without you
Old 01-15-2006, 08:46 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

ha! Cheers Dell. Actually I should STFU just in case I happen to mention that Root Mean Square thang and then be blamed of similar blabbing action.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:55 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

It's all good. Nothing like some friendly banter. See you around the boards

Quick Reply: HELP, White Smoke while driving