Sponsored by:

Quick Service Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 01:26 PM
frappold
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Quick Service Question

I have always used my local dealer here in Indianapolis for everything service wise. Although they are expensive, I think they're pretty responsive to my needs. They also give a 10% discount to PCA members. I'm now ready for my 60K service and the dealer wants $1350. A very well respected local Porsche guy will do it for $850-$950 depending on the fuel filter. My question to the board is, does anyone see any reason why I should use the dealer? I don't have the ability to do the work myself-I would if I had the right stuff. Will the dealer somehow hold this against me for future work? Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 01-09-2006, 01:33 PM
Joe2000C4Cab
Pro

If you're a PCA member (and you are...) you should be able to find an indy wrench through your PCA chapter that does just as good work (and responsive to your needs...) as the dealer. Or, ask here on this board for recommendations. That's how I found my indy.

But, having said that, I still do on occasion use my dealer for service. In the past year, my ingnition mechinism died on me (on a Sunday) just as I parked the car in front of a microbrewery many miles from my home. I could never have my car towed to my indy, they just do not have the support in place for after-hours/weekend drop off. I wasn't going to leave my car where it was and didn't want to have it towed multiple times so off to the dealership it went. It was fixed within 24 hours too, something my indy can't do without an appointment. But, I'm sure I paid more for that repair than what my indy would have charged.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:35 PM
Joe2000C4Cab
Pro

Oh, forgot to add explicitly, I don't feel that my dealership has obviously treated me worse or penalized me in any way for having service done elsewhere. I think they know that whatever % of work I toss their way is greater than 0% if they did.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:44 PM
Hotbasco
Intermediate

Frappold - If the "local P-car guy" has the initials TH then go ahead. TH has the deep P-car experience and is very thorough. I know becuase he works on my P-car and about 50 other member cars.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:16 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I will only use my P-car dealer as long as the car is under warranty, I say find a local guy that can wrench on the car (if you can trust him) and save the extra cash.

Quick Reply: Quick Service Question