996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Reverse engineer a 911?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 09:03 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the x5 looks like it's using the x5 body, the new m-class front end..

the wheels.. yikes.. i think that's their own $2 creation though..

http://cimg.163.com/auto/2004/metal...041121/5761.jpg
Old 01-09-2006, 09:09 PM
Nick Crooks
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Washington DC - you have asked me the same question back, is a 911 just a car? I am not so sure that knowing how something is done is the same as being able to do it - perhaps the Germans have mastered certain metallurgical or machining skills that require deep knowledge, experience and expertise. That is the real question I would like to get at. Undoubtedly they will have it down in 50 years time as that is the way of the world but what about 5 years or 10. Do they possess the engineering infrastructure to replicate a car like this or would their incremental cost in engineering, tooling and need to source outsourced parts result in a per unit cost that would be uncompetitive?
Old 01-09-2006, 09:10 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bobporsche996
the x5 looks like it's using the x5 body, the new m-class front end..

the wheels.. yikes.. i think that's their own $2 creation though..

http://cimg.163.com/auto/2004/metal...041121/5761.jpg
if they come along, they will very likely to have 10yr/100K miles power-train warranty, so bob, u will have a better shot than porsche
Old 01-09-2006, 10:07 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
I'm not technical but what would be so hard to reverse engineer a Porsche? Would one ask that question if you substituted VW for Porsche? It's just a car, not a Robot.
Well, there is a lot of software in these cars too, and that is much more difficult to reverse engineer than physical parts.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:03 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Hey, if they can make an X5 software they can make a Porsche.. Chinese folks go to engineering school too..

Originally Posted by Paul Marangoni
Well, there is a lot of software in these cars too, and that is much more difficult to reverse engineer than physical parts.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:11 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

I've been to several of the largest, now closed, US Steel plants and several have mentioned the sale of their assets(steel manufacturing equipment) have gone to the Chinese, some times stolen.. I say this because I believe the Chinese are working hard to find their niche in the market by any means necessary.

Originally Posted by Nick Crooks
Washington DC - you have asked me the same question back, is a 911 just a car? I am not so sure that knowing how something is done is the same as being able to do it - perhaps the Germans have mastered certain metallurgical or machining skills that require deep knowledge, experience and expertise. That is the real question I would like to get at. Undoubtedly they will have it down in 50 years time as that is the way of the world but what about 5 years or 10. Do they possess the engineering infrastructure to replicate a car like this or would their incremental cost in engineering, tooling and need to source outsourced parts result in a per unit cost that would be uncompetitive?
Old 01-10-2006, 02:04 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
I believe the Chinese are working hard to find their niche in the market by any means necessary.
You make it sound like some nasty James Bond evil villain plot!

China just has a HUGE populace and a very strong economy. As such, they need to make 'stuff', and that requires steel; Lots of it.

As for their future sports car development, I'm sure they'll be competitive one day.

Quick Reply: Reverse engineer a 911?