Sponsored by:

various 996 model's rack ratio and lock to lock

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 09:31 PM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post various 996 model's rack ratio and lock to lock

What is the steering rack ratio of various996's? C, C4S, Turbo all seem to share the same ratio, but what is it? How many turns from lock-lock?

How about the specs for GT2, GT3 cup and GT3 RSR's? Are the race (GT3 cup and RS) cars' lock to lock adjustable??
Old 08-30-2002, 10:26 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here is what I have...
996 (C2, C4, GT3)
Steering ratio: 16.9:1
Turning circle: 34.8 ft.
Steering wheel revolutions
from lock to lock: 2.98
Old 08-31-2002, 03:30 AM
Vik
Instructor

[quote] What is the steering rack ratio of various996's? C, C4S, Turbo all seem to share the same ratio, but what is it? How many turns from lock-lock? <hr></blockquote>

For the non-techies like myself, it would be wonderful to get some clarification from the pros as to what the ratio terminology above means. Specifically, what does the turns from lock-lock mean?

Looking forward to getting educated!

Regards.
Old 08-31-2002, 06:52 AM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

a quicker ratio means you'll have to turn the steering wheel less to have the front wheels turned. numerically lower = faster rack. for example a 16:1 ratio might turn the wheels 20 degrees when the steering wheel is turned 90 deg. and a faster rack of 15:1 means the same 90 deg at the steering wheel will be 25 deg at the wheel. (figures i used are arbitrary, but you get the idea)

usually sports cars have faster rack than regular cars.

lock to lock is simply the number of times the steering turns from fully left lock to full right lock. i'm curious to what the lock to lock is for the 996 GT3 Cup... from memory it seemes to be less than 2 turns. the wheels don't turn more than say about 35 degrees... presumably they're limiting it for clearance either on the fender, or maybe on the inside wheel well. however the rims are 18x9 vs. GT2 which has 18x8.5. i'm really surprised they'd limit it so much. the tires are well tucked under the fender tho, maybe that's why. GT3 Cup rides much lower than GT2.

why am i curious? because i got drive a friend's cup car yesterday and i promptly looped it in 2nd lap (didn't fully warm up the slicks). it was a combination of things but one thing was normally on a low speed spin I simply counter it (street cars all have atleast about 45 degrees of turning angle on the wheels so you can have a huge drifting angle). i ran into full left lock on the GT3 Cup car really fast but the tail came around even faster, by the time i got on the gas i was almost 90 deg. aiming towards the inside track. so i just let it go and went into a controlled 180 degree spin going backwards.

it sorted of bugged me last night so that's why i'm interested to find out the facts on the rack and lock ratio.
Old 09-01-2002, 06:26 AM
Vik
Instructor

Ghetto Racer,

Thank you. That was very helpful.

Regards.

Quick Reply: various 996 model's rack ratio and lock to lock