Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

HA HA!! PCNA basically told me where to go...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 06:13 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts
Wow. Real bummer to read all these negative posts. And, I grant you, all have their points. Sorry to hear all these tales of woe, but I guess I'm still so enamored with the car, I can't seem to empathize. Best I can say is sorry it didn't work out for you guys.

I guess the lesson I've picked up here is: If it's broke, BEWARE!! If it ain't broke, it's GLORIOUS!! And I'm with Roy. It's a warrantee, not a guarantee.
Old 08-30-2002, 06:30 PM
wilam
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The engine on my 01 996 cab was brought in for replacement on Wednesday and I should be getting it back this afternoon. We'll see if my request for an extended warranty is granted. My engine was damaged at the time of manufacture when PAG tried to force a pipe connection into the engine block and sheared the metal! Where was quality control?

Anyway, if they don't stand behind their product, I am selling the car and waiting for the sl500. Who needs the headache. Porsche is a great drive but too high maintenance. Just like those pretty slinky women who may give you a nice ride but have all these other problems that you have to deal with!
Old 08-30-2002, 06:41 PM
samyunick
Intermediate

Angry

I agree with the people who say they owe nothing but a fixed car.

The fact that we can pay $80k plus means nothing other than we can. If a person with a $10k car has a major failure, do you think they do not deserve the same things you do (a new car, merchandise, etc,etc) just because the car cost less? I hear so many "I paid $85k and I expect..blah, blah,blah" No diff than the guy with the Saturn....

A warranty, not a guarantee; that's what we all have. So long as they fix the car, that's all they owe you, me or whoever is in that spot (I have been there with an NSX, and Acura fixed the new car trouble...and that was it..and I felt that I deserved nothing else.)

People who feel they are OWED something other than what is stated (say in your warranty)are the problem...

A dealer who does NOT repair, etc , well, then they fall under all the various lemon laws and need to be dealt with via legal channels. THe gentleman who asked for merchandise, extended warranties, etc was probably written off as trouble the moment he asked for it... I would have...

Folks, just my opinion, and no offense to anyone here...it just really frustrates me....\\your mileage may vary...

Sam
Old 08-30-2002, 07:37 PM
urbanski
Instructor

[quote]Originally posted by samyunick:
<strong> THe gentleman who asked for merchandise, extended warranties, etc was probably written off as trouble the moment he asked for it... I would have...Sam</strong><hr></blockquote>
That would be me. Sure, they may now simply shred every future letter I write. Still, nobody can take away my right to complain and stand up for consumer satisfaction.

Take this example. How many of you have written the airlines after they bumped you, or lost luggage, or somehow screwed up? How many of you got at least one free voucher back, as compensation? I've done this many times. Your meal is cold at "Chez Marie", you send it back. How many times has the dessert been on the house after that? Many!
Quality companies WANT your business again...

When consumers get screwed, they have the right to complain about it. Having a $86,000 car break down 30 miles from home when it's 2 hours old is the classic definition of screwed...surely anybody can expect some level of quality control from PAG. There seems to be none IMO.

Ironic how I asked for compensation in Porsche goodies, but now I'm so disenchanted I'd just E-Bay them had they sent some

I respect those who disagree with my tactics. I also hope you don't end up stranded! Oh....and my motor still starts rough and idles low...
Old 08-30-2002, 07:40 PM
Rohan Nath
Racer

its friday afternoon and i'm procastinating on work so here goes....

1. i don't know how many 996s have had major problems but if its a sizeable number, porsche should in it own interest treat warranties as guarantees. high end car companies that don't ensure quality seize to exist (i have a jaguar...).

2. i love my porsche and in hindsight made the lucky choice of going with a 993 c4s (no flame intended - i know your cars can outperform mine).

3. i would be surprised if porsche is reporting great results 12-18 months from now. see the markdowns at any dealership and its obvious that the economy is hurting them (maybe i'm tainted by living in the bay area).

good luck to you guys. my jaguar experience makes me emphathetic towards people with expensive, trouble prone cars. at least with a jaguar i sort of knew what to expect.

rohan
Old 08-30-2002, 10:23 PM
RWO
Burning Brakes

Scott,

I did a "lemon law" my Suburban after the three repair attempts, and a final repair attempt, to fix the same problem. After 4 failed trys GM bought it back.

After the 1st attempt, I did not think I was due anything other than a fixed car... If "Urbanski" continues to have problems, he should have his car bought back, not get a bunch of free stuff because his car broke.

Personlly, I think there is a big difference between having one problem and having an ongoing problem.

Don't get me wrong, I think Porsche quality is below what is was in the past. My TT left me stranded with a gear change cable coming off at 700 miles. My 16K miles Cab has been in for more service visits (different issues) than my last two jap cars combined (with 200K miles between them). I just think a warranty is a warranty, not a guarantee...

Roy
Old 08-31-2002, 01:14 PM
urbanski
Instructor

[quote]Originally posted by RWO:
<strong>If "Urbanski" continues to have problems, he should have his car bought back, not get a bunch of free stuff because his car broke.

Roy</strong><hr></blockquote>
That was the point of the letters I just mailed to PAG and PCNA.
Take responsibilty for this car which is of shoddy quality control.
Stand behind it and buy it back if something else fails.
I didn't ask for more "Porsche goodies" or anything, just for a company to back their product like they claim to.

urb out

Quick Reply: HA HA!! PCNA basically told me where to go...