Sponsored by:

Wheel Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 02:53 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

If you have PSM don't forget to have the steering angle sensor on the steering column checked and recentered (if required) after the alignment. And if you use a regular alignment shop make sure to bring a printout of the torque specifications for the various suspension bolts with you. A lot of shops will just tighten down everything using the grunt method.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:53 AM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer just quoted me $499 to align my 99 C4 Cab !!
Old 09-26-2015, 01:42 PM
Dennis "N" SC
Instructor

Do these measurements look correct? Notice the BAR on left front is 2,7 and all others are 0,0
Old 09-27-2015, 01:33 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Not quite. Graphically the pointer should be very close to the center mark, at least inside the lowest depression. In the case of the left front camber it is not.

Rear toe doesn't look like it is set right either.

Part of the text is missing but it does appear that it was noted some values were not within specification.

The question becomes why were they not in specification?
Old 09-27-2015, 08:38 PM
Joe Ricard
Pro

recommending an alignment for a car "THAT IS BEST" ???? is very subjective,
Best for daily
Best for HPDE
Best of Autocross.

All are different. But none are worth a hoot if you allow large ranges of tolerance.

I finally got tired of hacks professing they can do it for 75.00 or 275.00 or 400.00 because Porsche so I learned how to do it myself, in the driveway.

Level the car with shims under the tires I use 1/8" luan 12" squares. and doubled up walmart bags.
Got a Longacre Camber / caster gauge some toe plates and a level. Whala I can get it extremely precise. and Porsche 996 is very sensitive to tight tolerances.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:54 AM
Dennis "N" SC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Macster
Not quite. Graphically the pointer should be very close to the center mark, at least inside the lowest depression. In the case of the left front camber it is not.

Rear toe doesn't look like it is set right either.

Part of the text is missing but it does appear that it was noted some values were not within specification.

The question becomes why were they not in specification?
The alignment was done by the Porsche dealer here with a new alignment machine. Thank you for pointing out the pointers. It looks like the front toe left is worse after the alignment. Looks like I need to take it back or get some reasonable answer to how it's set up now. Thanks so much for your help.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:10 AM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The last alignment I had done they dialed it in with me in the drivers seat it does make a difference, the added weight on one side.

Oh yea, it was done at a local tire shop for $59 and they nailed it.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:30 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

I usually buy the lifetime alignment at Firestone on my vehicles. This allow multiple alignments per year. I do a minimum of three per year on my cars. Sure it's Firstone, and yes I have had to take a vehicle back becasue the steering wheel was off center more than I would accept, but over the years the guys there know me and what I expect. The shop I use has a computerized Hunter rack. I still remember when they got it. The manager was so poroud and could not wait to take me back there. Back then I had a 964, Saleen XP8 and an Explorer Sport so they saw me or my wife often. Sadly the E350 needs specialized tools and they would not get them in for me. I think they charge $169 these days, but you can often find a coupon to knock $20 off.

Quick Reply: Wheel Alignment