Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Sports Design Wheel Weights *Updated with Pictures!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 07:01 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

The black wheels look fantastic with the speed yellow.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:28 AM
MGS996
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Mike, those wheels look great black in combination with the polished lip and yellow 996. I recently acquired a 99 Iris Blue tip/cab with the same 18" Sport Design wheels. My intent is to have the centres painted in Shadow Chrome. Thoughts/Comments? Also see you have painted your caps black, did you have the logos masked when applying the black or are they new logos prior to clear applied.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:24 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Mike,

Was that after having seen mine?

Ciao,

Johannes E.

GT3CS
Old 01-06-2006, 11:13 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by MGS996
Mike, those wheels look great black in combination with the polished lip and yellow 996. I recently acquired a 99 Iris Blue tip/cab with the same 18" Sport Design wheels. My intent is to have the centres painted in Shadow Chrome. Thoughts/Comments? Also see you have painted your caps black, did you have the logos masked when applying the black or are they new logos prior to clear applied.
Thanks for the kind words. I'm really happy with the results on mine.

I'm not sure what shade is shadow chrome exactly is, but if its almost the same as the orig color but a little darker, I think it will look good on iris blue.

On the caps, yes, they masked the logos and painted around them. The wheel centers, I removed them myself cause I want to make sure it get done right. They will need the "triple Square" bit(12 point torx) that you can buy at Pep Boys. They're real tight when you remove them, cause they've been there for a while and they a a little bit of thread lock. Just be careful and dont' use power tool to break the torx(to prevent striping). The torque when you put them back is 145 IN LBS. Thats INCH lbs. If you seperate them, make sure they don't paint the mating surfaces. Realy close tolerance. I would make sure that they bead blast the old paint to havethe new paint something to grab on. NOT totaly remove the old paint. Rough blast for the new paint to grab on.

Good luck. Hope that helps.

**Just a disclaimer, This is a DIY**
Old 01-06-2006, 11:23 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Cool

Originally Posted by Mr. C4
Hey Mike,

Was that after having seen mine?

Ciao,

Johannes E.

GT3CS
Johannes,

I might have seen your's but Im not sure I remember... happens a lot after 40

I've always love the black Fuschs on the 930 and other old 911s. I really like that serious mean look when the wheels are black.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:25 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Cool

Originally Posted by riad
The black wheels look fantastic with the speed yellow.
AGREE 110%!!
Old 01-06-2006, 11:27 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by LVDell
How in the world did you get the bolts back to factory torque spec??????? Everybody I have talked to (including Wheel Enhancement) said they will NOT remove the two pieces and instead mask, etc., since breaking the seal and the bolts are damn near impossible to get back original.
Dell,

My post # 21 above hopefully will help more for you if you're planning to paint your SDs. I'll be glad to help if you ahve other questions.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:58 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MGS996
From Wheel Enhancement. Although this is a boxster, it's lapis blue...I'm not sure how close this is to shadow chrome.
Attached Images  
Old 08-25-2020, 12:08 PM
Powerplay1
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Refreshed Wheels!

Ok, so I know this is a CRAZY old thread - but I wanted to say thanks to Carrera Mike for giving me the confidence to undertake this project.

About a month ago, I found a set of Sport design wheels in a field! Yes, no joke - in a field. They were in a crazy shape of disrepair and neglect (no surprise right - they were left in a field!). I researched the process, bought a couple of tools and supplies - and I jumped in!

First I broke the wheels apart - I used the correct bit to back out all 80 bolts, and got a big rubber mallet to break them apart. From there, the sanding began. I stripped off all of the old paint and the clear coat - quite a tedious process! Hand cleaned and polished each of the 80 titanium screws! Sand, sand, sand some more! I got the lip to a pretty high polish where I could live with it - not perfect for sure, but it looks great to me. This is not a concourse car!

I bought paint to be sprayed through my compressor air gun... First I layed down a coat of primer, then the paint, then the clear coat. I painted the face and barrels to match my car. My car is a Meridian Metallic Silver. I bought new center caps and painted them as well.

All in all - I am really happy with the finished product. I will be mounting them next week and will follow up with mounted photos if anyone cares...but just thought I'd share my experience. Let me know if anyone needs any help or has any questions. I learned a couple of things as I went along and I happy to help if anyone needs it!
Cheers,
KJ

Quick Reply: Sports Design Wheel Weights *Updated with Pictures!