Sponsored by:

Header shootout

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 11:07 AM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
I would normally tend to agree with you on "it needs to be dyno'd on an NA car" point, but.... when I spoke to the distributor i asked him what he got on his car (which is NA). he said around 28 in the middle and 11 on top. unless he was using his magic 8 ball on the phone, I'd say my supercharger had no effect on the results as I ended up with exactly the same as he did. i'm sure it wasn't a coincidence. "Sorry just like you I would not take their word for it if I was spending the money.. The proof is in the puddin"

they're the same brand, just slightly different models (9000 and 8000). how different can they be? "When they were putting on the headers you could see they have a different tread pattern... hence the difference.."

i'm not talking about a stage 4 clutch, just something a little stronger with a LWF. she won't hear the LWF chatter over the headers anyway it is my understanding if you buy the right one there aren't any stalling issues, etc... "You had the same reasoning with the 42.. and she said what?"
Just bustin your ***** my friend....

Lunch at your favorite watering hole... at 11:45 with Luis... You in?
Old 01-02-2006, 11:07 AM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

By the way, Luis is banned from driving my car any more. I finally went out and cleaned it the other day. I sprayed the wheels with the hose and I had a black river running down the driveway. I've never seen that before and I attribute it to Luis Andretti heal/toeing it over by Gary's house
Sorry,
I was just "shaking the cobwebs" and driving it like its meant to be driven. It is not my fault that you have 3 year old 20,000 mile stock pads on a 450hp SC 996.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:20 PM
dallasboats
Pro

I think I'm going to try the flywheel soon. It sounds like a neat to me modification! I just had the wheels swapped for light weight RSGT's and I'm changing the battery in the next few weeks for a light weight version. Next is the hood for cf and possibly some light seats.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:42 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

they DO make noise under acceleration. when in a lower gear under acceleration, you WILL hear gear noise. just downshift and the noise won't be so evident. when downshifting while decelerating you WILL hear some gear noise as well.

if you are the type who doesn't like rattels from the interiour of your car or if you want your porsche to be quiet then this is NOT the mod for you.
if you want extra performance and don't mind your car sounding like a bucket of bolts then this is it.

how do i know this? just jeck my sig

i actually love this mod but i just want to get the facts straight and not sugar coat the added noise you WILL get.

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
LFW's make a slight chatter when you are at idle with the clutch out. This is the only time they make noise, when you are driving, they will not under accelleration.

Hope this helps, let me know if you are intersted.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:57 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary (Fl)
Just bustin your ***** my friend....

Lunch at your favorite watering hole... at 11:45 with Luis... You in?

oops. missed the post. maybe later this week?
Old 01-02-2006, 03:03 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dallasboats
I think I'm going to try the flywheel soon. It sounds like a neat to me modification! I just had the wheels swapped for light weight RSGT's and I'm changing the battery in the next few weeks for a light weight version. Next is the hood for cf and possibly some light seats.

hey dallas, check my response to deadeye.

i would go with seats before the hood. there is a lot of weight in the seats whic you will get rid of over the weight savings of a carbon hood. 50lbs vs. 15lbs.

you will get better weight ditribution by leaving the steel hood on instead of having a lighter front end with a carbon hood.

i would not bother with the LWF unless you need to change out the clutch. this would be the perfect time. you can also do it with an RMS change too
Old 01-02-2006, 03:04 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Carlos: Got a few questions regarding your LWF.

How much was it?

How many hours of labor were involved to install it?

Did you upgrade the clutch at the same time?

Any problems with stalling or the car not running properly? If I remember right, you had a few issues after your SC install didn't you?

Is it a very noticeable difference in performance?

If you had to quantify the noise increase by percentages, how much louder is it over stock? Is it totally obnoxious?

EVO wants around $2500 for their clutch LFW setup. Seems a little pricey.

Would you do it again?
Old 01-02-2006, 03:25 PM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

oops. missed the post. maybe later this week?
Yeah, missed the post and would not answer Luis's or my calls.... So Heidi, Luis and I had lunch (and beers) without you....
Old 01-02-2006, 03:31 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

my phone died after i hung up with luis. bummer.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:54 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Andrew,
Are you down for a drive? Patterson Rd?
Old 01-02-2006, 03:59 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Carlos: Got a few questions regarding your LWF.

How much was it?
i have an aasco unit. FVD and EVO (i believe) sell this unit as well. mine was around 900. here's the AASCO LWF

How many hours of labor were involved to install it?

Did you upgrade the clutch at the same time?
i think it's about 5~6 hours. i only did this mod when i needed a new clutch. i wouldn't bother until the clutch needed replacing.

Any problems with stalling or the car not running properly? If I remember right, you had a few issues after your SC install didn't you?
before the SC, the car did stall after disengaging the clutch and coasting from freeway speeds (coming off the freeway). may have been because of my setup. i had cut a hole in my compsoite decklid which fed the evo v-flow. this could have helped with stalling. the MAF could have sense too much flow and shut down the gas enough and, with the LWF, could have helped stall the engine. no stalling accelerating from a stop in normal and aggressive driving though.

Is it a very noticeable difference in performance?

If you had to quantify the noise increase by percentages, how much louder is it over stock? Is it totally obnoxious?
i wish had done somebefore and after testing but sorry, no data. i do feel faster acceleration and a more responsive throttle.

well, stock being silent the LWF noise increase is 100% but OEM being 0 and straight cut race transmission then the LWF would be 25.

Would you do it again?
yes and no.
if the car was just a street GT cruiser then no i wouldn't but for my current street/track/future race car then yes i would do it again.
if i already had the SC then i probably wouldn't bother with the LWF.
if i were to keep the 996 NA then and was looking to squeeze everything out of it, i would do it again.

one thing i did notice. when the windows are down, the noise from the wind , engine and exhaust drown out the gear noise so for a convertible the noise might not be as noticable.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:02 PM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

my phone died after i hung up with luis. bummer.
You were on the phone when I called you... I have the same service and know what the little beep means at the end of the ring...
Old 01-02-2006, 04:13 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary (Fl)
You were on the phone when I called you... I have the same service and know what the little beep means at the end of the ring...
beats me then. it never rang and nobody beeped in.... my phone service in the house sucks. i usually have to go outside to use the broadband card on my laptop. verizon says we're in between two towers and the phones have a hard time choosing one.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:14 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

thanks for the info carlos. did you upgrade your clutch? i am still running the stock clutch with the supercharger.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:47 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Price out other stuff as well before dropping $2500 on the evo.
http://www.gmgracing.com/PorschePage...rive_train.htm

Quick Reply: Header shootout