Sponsored by:

Pioneer AVIC-N2 Nav-DVD player

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 05:38 PM
AjaxTT
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pioneer AVIC-N2 Nav-DVD player

Well the holidays are in progress, and lucky me, besides my "new" 2001 996TT, the holiday gift suprise to me was a Pioneer AVIC-N2, the nav/DVD pop-out screen unit. Looks great, fits one din slot, and lots of fun. Yet to be installed. Any one with experience/knowledge of this unit? Thanks,
By the way, I am relatively new to the site, but completely enjoying and learning from everyone, so again thanks, and it's nice to be part of the community.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:48 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Pictures, and consider becoming a member. Welcome and merry Christmas.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:49 PM
brucem
Instructor

it's a great unit. you should be happy with it, but I hope you are not planning on watching DVD while driving.. it doesn't do it. I personally prefer the Eclipse line when it comes to indash DVD units.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:16 PM
AjaxTT
Intermediate

What stops the viewing while in motion? Is it the e-brake, or the GPS that senses motion? Someone sais it can be by-passed. How about an on-off switch wired into the e-brake sensor? Kids in the back want to view DVDs.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:17 PM
AjaxTT
Intermediate

BTW, yes, I will become a member, this site is too good not to support!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-29-2005, 06:36 PM
brucem
Instructor

the unit uses the GPS to stop the DVD playback. I heard a rumor that there is a way to bypass it too. but remember the GPS knows your moving even if the speed sensor is not hooked up. I never hooked up the speed sensor in my previous car and the GPS unit worked great still!
Old 12-30-2005, 09:07 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a way to solder a connection as a jumper and be able to watch dvd's while driving. Do a search on google etc.

Further, The Eclipse nav units are garbage, as the resolution of their screens is extremely low and looks grossly pixalated. They resolution is less than my cell phone for instance.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:58 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 446 Posts

Easy bypass for the DVD fxn not working while driving. It is a simple wire soder may be different on your unit but most go to the e-brake. Ask any car stereo installer and they can either do it for you (legality) or ah tell you how to do it. My brother has a similiar unit and did it with his Accord sedan so his kids can watch while he's traveling/driving.

Enjoy
Old 12-31-2005, 11:51 AM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is the how to that I found off the web:

I disclaim all liability for trying the below, as I have not yet done so personally. However, as noted by the duplicate procedures found off different sources this seems the way to do it. Off road use only!

AVIC-N2 lockout bypass: Underneath the MAIN unit (not the hideaway) is a small silver sticker, peel this back. There are two contacts with the label "R197". Drop a bit of solder between these to connect them. Also, you must ground the Parking Brake wire.

AVIC-D1 lockout bypass: Find an extra Pioneer wire harness, and pull one of the wires out. Or, if you do not use the A.ANT lead, pull that out of the harness. In the AVIC-D1 harness, there is one open spot on the connector (next to the ground wire). Put the wire into the open spot on the connector, connect the other side to ground, then re-connect the plug to the AVIC-D1. Also, you must ground the Parking Brake wire (or connect to a toggle switch if you feel the need).

AVIC N2: Underneath the unit is a small silver sticker, peel this back. There are 2 contacts with the label R197. Clean the wax off these with alcohol, making sure there is nothing left on them. Then drop a bit of solder between these to connect them. Be careful, as you will probably only get one shot to get this right.

AVIC D2: Find an extra Pioneer wire harness, and pull one of the wires out. In the D1 harness there is one open slot on the connector, connect it to ground, then reconnect the plug to the D1.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:10 PM
AjaxTT
Intermediate

Thanks for the help. Any advice or recommendations on this or any other DVD or nav unit? Happy New Year to all.

Quick Reply: Pioneer AVIC-N2 Nav-DVD player