Coolant low: What Kind to Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 10:37 AM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant low: What Kind to Buy?

Guys,

My coolant is low and need to pick up a coolant. Dealers are all closed today, but I was wondering if Autozone or something similar would have it. Does any have the p/n or name? Thanks...
Old 12-24-2005, 12:17 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

First question to ask is why is it low? Any leaks? Cracking tank?

You really need to pony up and get the Porsche coolant. I think Tool Pants at one point posted the equivalent here (or over at Renntech.org). You cannot just add Prestone or the similar.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:47 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, don't mix the coolant or else you'll get jello in the cooling system and will cost more to flush it. P car coolant is not cheap and sold by the quart. I'd check for coolant leak by doing a pressure test before just topping it. The expansion tank is known to crack easily (which is costly to change since its location is hard to get to).
Old 12-24-2005, 03:20 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

I just filled my coolant up too, it was so low that it cause the check engine light to come on. After a few days, the engine light went away. Now the car seems to start but have a hard time turning over upon startup.??? WTF!!

Ive seen people pour some coolant in their 996's other than the porsche coolant from the stealership. Although I was skeptical when I saw them do it, never said a word to them since its not my car.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:38 AM
C4 Pazzo
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just add deionized water. Keep track of how much you add. When you get the correct coolant, add the same amount as the water you added (to keep the 50/50 ratio). Don't overfill.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:23 PM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LVDell
First question to ask is why is it low? Any leaks? Cracking tank?

You really need to pony up and get the Porsche coolant. I think Tool Pants at one point posted the equivalent here (or over at Renntech.org). You cannot just add Prestone or the similar.
Hey Dell,

No leaks of any kind, but there is a blinking temp light which led me to check my coolant level. It looked low so I am going to re-fill it and see if this alleviates the dreaded blinking light
Old 12-25-2005, 11:24 PM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by djantlive
Yeah, don't mix the coolant or else you'll get jello in the cooling system and will cost more to flush it. P car coolant is not cheap and sold by the quart. I'd check for coolant leak by doing a pressure test before just topping it. The expansion tank is known to crack easily (which is costly to change since its location is hard to get to).
Excuse my ignorance, but how do I do a pressure test? I know about 99-01s having a tendency for cracked coolant tanks, but I don't have any leaks, so I don't believe it is that....
Old 12-25-2005, 11:25 PM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by vove
I just filled my coolant up too, it was so low that it cause the check engine light to come on. After a few days, the engine light went away. Now the car seems to start but have a hard time turning over upon startup.??? WTF!!

Ive seen people pour some coolant in their 996's other than the porsche coolant from the stealership. Although I was skeptical when I saw them do it, never said a word to them since its not my car.
WTF is right!!? I hate fixing these "minor" problems, but it is quite common on our 996s.. ugh
Old 12-25-2005, 11:26 PM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by C4 Pazzo
Just add deionized water. Keep track of how much you add. When you get the correct coolant, add the same amount as the water you added (to keep the 50/50 ratio). Don't overfill.
Noted. Thanks for the advice
Old 12-26-2005, 12:08 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Jon, it may depend on if the blink is slow or fast.

This is courtesy of Loren over at Renntech.org:

Covers all Carrera (996), GT3, TT / GT2 and Boxster (986) cars
Here is the long explanation from the service manual on the flashing coolant light.

Four functions of the coolant warning light:
1. Engine coolant level too low -- light flashes slowly (0.5 Hz)
2. Engine compartment temperature too high -- light flashes slowly (0.5 Hz) (engine compartment blower might be faulty)
3. Engine coolant temperature too high -- light is lit; pointer on the right
4. Temperature sensor at water outlet faulty -- light flashes rapidly (1 Hz) ; pointer on the right

Note: The temperature warning in point three is indicated if the conditions "engine coolant temperature too high" and "engine coolant level too low" are present simultaneously."
Old 05-08-2006, 12:16 PM
jlb532
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When would this coolant light appear? Are you talking about right at startup, or would it begin to flash/light while driving?

I've noticed my coolant level seems a little low. I rarely drive the car long enough for engine to get up to 'hot' temperature, but when I do I haven't noticed the coolant light ever coming on.

Should I wait until I see the warning light before I worry? I've read the posts about the caps (replaced mine) and expansion tank (still original) being faulty...and my fingers are crossed the tank is still fine.

Can I wait until I see a warning light, or do you recommend obsessing over this now?
Old 05-08-2006, 01:18 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jlb532
When would this coolant light appear? Are you talking about right at startup, or would it begin to flash/light while driving?

I've noticed my coolant level seems a little low. I rarely drive the car long enough for engine to get up to 'hot' temperature, but when I do I haven't noticed the coolant light ever coming on.

Should I wait until I see the warning light before I worry? I've read the posts about the caps (replaced mine) and expansion tank (still original) being faulty...and my fingers are crossed the tank is still fine.

Can I wait until I see a warning light, or do you recommend obsessing over this now?
My light came on while driving to let me know it was low......
I added de-ionized water until I could get coolant from the stealership
which I now am not using as the coolant had already been replaced with
an off brand (prestone, etc) so I now added that kind of coolant to top
it off.

FYI, Porsche coolant comes in gallon, not quarts ~$50.00/gal.

- Cam
Old 05-08-2006, 02:32 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM
FYI, Porsche coolant comes in gallon, not quarts ~$50.00/gal.
It also comes in smaller quantities.

The coolant system is closed system and should not lose coolant. If the coolant light flashes indicating low coolant then you should determine is causing the lose of coolant. Obviously coolant can being lost via a leak. The expansion tanks leaks are common as is problems with the original design of the expansion tank cap. Tank leaks are usually very slow developing, with a little bit leaking out underpressure over time but not enough to have puddle under the car. "Crusting" on the underside and sides of the tank are good indicators of this problem. You will have to feel for the crusting because most of the tank is not visable for inspection. Obviously there are other leak sources but this is very common. Leaks can as be from hoses and/or internally in the engine (bad).

Another possibity is there was air in the system from recent coolant changes or any other maintenance/work that would result in coolant being drained and added back. Usually this type of light comes on within a week or so of the work performed (depending on driving habits of course). Just add some water/coolant in the proper ratio and be on your way.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:14 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bet
It also comes in smaller quantities.
Then I stand corrected, I just naturally asked for a gallon......
Old 05-08-2006, 07:57 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went to the dealership to check level and to top it off, they added a bit and gave me the gallon to have handy if at some point needed a bit more. Thank you very much.

Quick Reply: Coolant low: What Kind to Buy?