996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

ECU/chip upgrades...warranty at risk?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 01:49 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Question ECU/chip upgrades...warranty at risk?

I've been research on this forum and elsewhere about remapping the ECU. If one were to upgrade their ECU with a flash update from GIAC, does one run the risk of voiding their warranty? Indeed, can Porsche service techs even pick up that you have done this...beyond say noticing the EVO cold air uptake attached to the engine that GIAC recommends using with their software?

Incidentally, is GIAC the best company to use for this modificaiton? Oh yeah, I assume that it does not impact longevity of the motor or rob fuel efficiency?

One last thing: when people talk about RoW mapping, what are they referring to? Do the cars in Europe have a different ECU configuration that noticeably alters the car? I was unaware that manufacturers did things like this.

Thanks.

Last edited by nycebo; 12-23-2005 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:06 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Forget it. I found most of the information I need on companies' websites regarding manufacturers' warranty. Cheers.

As for RoW, I still have no idea.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:13 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had mine installed at the dealtership and haven't had any issues. I'm not sure they could really tell that it's been reprogrammed during normal maintanence..

Originally Posted by nycebo
I've been research on this forum and elsewhere about remapping the ECU. If one were to upgrade their ECU with a flash update from GIAC, does one run the risk of voiding their warranty? Indeed, can Porsche service techs even pick up that you have done this...beyond say noticing the EVO cold air uptake attached to the engine that GIAC recommends using with their software?

Incidentally, is GIAC the best company to use for this modificaiton? Oh yeah, I assume that it does not impact longevity of the motor or rob fuel efficiency?

One last thing: when people talk about RoW mapping, what are they referring to? Do the cars in Europe have a different ECU configuration that noticeably alters the car? I was unaware that manufacturers did things like this.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: ECU/chip upgrades...warranty at risk?