Sponsored by:

Sirius mount in cubby hole?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 05:30 PM
droog114
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Sirius mount in cubby hole?

Hi all. Just got a Sirius Radio Starmate car unit for my 996. I was able to mount the antenna near the alarm on the dash and route the wiring all the way down to the unit which is sitting in the little cubby hole beneath the the cd storage unit.

The reception is fine (using the FM band). I don't want to permanently mount the unit in my car as I plan on taking it out to listen to it in my house.

The problem is that the unit is loose in the cubby hole, therefore, the unit falls out when I accelerate.

My question is: is there a better way to mount this unit in the cubby hole so it firmly sits in there while I am using it in the car? Again, I don't want it to be permanent.

Thanks!!!
Old 12-18-2005, 05:46 PM
UNC Nick
Instructor

Is it the Starmate, or the Starmate Replay? I've got the replay and it sits perfectly against the batwing in front of the shifter. A little double-sided auto tape or velcro and it'll never move. Then, run any wiring behind the dash and you'll have a pretty clean install. I've done it this way (whiile working on a custom in-dash mount) and have it running to the aux input to the Becker unit. Aux sounds way better and is pretty easy to do.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:53 PM
droog114
Advanced

Originally Posted by UNC Nick
Is it the Starmate, or the Starmate Replay? I've got the replay and it sits perfectly against the batwing in front of the shifter. A little double-sided auto tape or velcro and it'll never move. Then, run any wiring behind the dash and you'll have a pretty clean install. I've done it this way (whiile working on a custom in-dash mount) and have it running to the aux input to the Becker unit. Aux sounds way better and is pretty easy to do.
Yes, it is the Replay. Using the FM band sounds fine, but I think I'll attempt to run it through to the head unit.

Does Best Buy carry the cable for the auxilary?

Thanks for the reply!
Old 12-20-2005, 01:45 PM
LedZec
Advanced

Hi guys --

What year is your car? I have an '02 996 and I was wondering if I have a head unit that is capable/has an aux in that I can hook a Sirius unit to?
Old 12-20-2005, 05:18 PM
UNC Nick
Instructor

You've got to call Becker directly to order the AUX kit- it comes witht he adapter, a phone mute cable, and the "keys" to remove the headunit.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:27 AM
Chuck
3rd Gear

Did any of you hard wiret he power lead, or are you using the cigarette lighter?
Old 12-24-2005, 02:04 PM
UNC Nick
Instructor

Hardwired the power lead, but used the standatd power cable witht he cig. adapter. Hardwired another socket behind the dash so that I could use the standard cable, or anything else in a hardwired "mode" after I swap out the Sirius unit for a newer model down the line. Glad I did it, as I'm already planning on upgrading the unit to a full headunit to run off the AUX of the Becker that plays MP3 CD's, Sirius, and has an iPod controller. I'll then use the secondary hardwired socket for my new Garmin i3 GPS unit (LOVE this little thing!).
Old 12-26-2005, 01:47 AM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

universal satellite bracket from Best Buy. Drilled it to the inside of the cubby.
Had it hard wired but was giving me alternator whine. I use a Sony cigarette adapter, much better. Also used the Becker Aux jack so I can switch between the Sirius and the Ipod
Old 05-22-2006, 12:25 PM
Melchior
Pro

They now sell an adapter to fit a DIN size for the Sirius Starmate Replay

http://www.tss-radio.com/stv2-mounti...ay-p-3656.html
Old 05-22-2006, 02:18 PM
UNC Nick
Instructor

I've got the DIN bracket that David mentions. Install was a breeze (though I need to re-set it a bit to eliminate a small gap). Cheap, too.

Quick Reply: Sirius mount in cubby hole?