Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever hear of a paint defect known as "solvent pop"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 01:41 PM
Kirk S
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone ever hear of a paint defect known as "solvent pop"?

My CPO Lapis Blue '02 C4S has something strange happening to its paint. Looks like white specks under the clear coat, almost like some dust settled on the car...but it's "under" (or "in"?) the clear coat layer. It's more noticeable on some parts of the car than others.

Dealer body/paint guy at McKenna (so cal) claims the problem is probably "solvent pop". He's seen it on other cars but not on Porsches.

He thinks clear coat may have been applied too soon after paint, or paint didn't get "hardener" added???

There is no indication that this car has ever had any body/paint work performed post-factory (this is also opinionn of dealer & my detailer shop).

I did not notice this paint defect when I bought the car 18 months ago (would not have bought it had I noticed). Almost seems as though the problem has grown gradually over the time I've owned the car, but not sure if that's possible.

Car still under original 4yr/50k warranty. No need to test the CPO just yet.

Sounds like I may (not determined yet) get a total repaint of the car on Porsche's dime. This scares me to death. I suppose that *IF* it were done right it will come out looking showroom new...but I'm too old and jaded to feel very comfortable about this coming out right. But I'll have a hell of time selling this car eventually if I don't have something done about it.

Any advice, things to watch out for, etc would be greatly appreciated. I'm not a paint expert.

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2005, 02:18 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I haven't heard of that problem before, but a brand new paint job under warranty doesn't sound like a bad deal.

Good luck.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:35 PM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a google search for solvent pop. I just did and it brings up quite a few articles.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:27 PM
snaproll
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my experience, I wouldn't sweat a repaint if the shop that does the work is one that does Porsche warranty work(which sounds like your situation). I got hit from behind just hard enough to require replacement of the rear bumper cap, and the shop matched the paint perfectly. If they do your whole car, better still.............
Old 12-15-2005, 09:04 PM
BlackCab996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from: http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/re...ping/index.cfm

SOLVENT POPPING
(Boiling, Blowing)

Small bubbles, pinholes or crater-like openings in or on the paint film.

CAUSE

1. Liquid solvent (thinners/reducers) becomes "trapped" in the paint film when the surface layer skins over too quickly, preventing their evaporation into the atmosphere. Solvents that vaporize within the paint film leave bubbles, pinholes or craters as they push through and "pop" the surface. Solvents can be trapped due to:
1. Thinner/reducer evaporating too fast for spraying conditions;
2. Inadequate flash time between coats;
3. Excessive film thickness or "piling on" of heavy/wet coats;
4. Too much air movement causing surface to "skin over" before solvents evaporate;
5. Excessive purge/flash time before force drying.

REPAIR

1. Allow finish to thoroughly dry/cure, sand smooth and refinish. Inspect surface carefully to ensure all craters have been removed.
2. Severe popping will require removal of the affected film. Prime, seal and recoat, as necessary.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:27 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Yes, we see it more often than we should. We often see it on brand new deliveries, which really sucks.

Reactions between the layers of finish are the usual culprit. It can be resolved, but find the best shop you can.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Quick Reply: Anyone ever hear of a paint defect known as "solvent pop"?