white goo in oil filler neck

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 04:33 PM
Jeff996Canada
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post white goo in oil filler neck

Hi All,

We've put over 1000km on the 99 996 in just over a week and a half. Checked oil level, and it was precisely where it should be, and was clear... However, the coolant has a slow leak which is going to be looked at. There doesn't seem to be any visual leaks, but the oil filler neck has some white "goo" residue, around the top inch (closest to the cap). The oil appears clear however. Is this normal (the "goo" I mean)? I'm hoping that it is simply a slow leak that is getting burned off before it can drip on the floor, but are these cars prone to leaking coolant in other locations? Any input appreciated! Car has around 88,000KM or around 55,000 miles

Jeff
Old 04-22-2003, 05:26 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts
That's normal. Condensation in the oil - gets worse if it's cold out and you don't drive the car long/hard enough to boil off all of the moisture in the oil.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:48 PM
Jeff996Canada
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Chip for your reply.

I agree with you and GrantG that it is likely due to excess moisture. The car had just had an oil change, but it may have been sitting at the dealer for a while. The residue doesn't seem to be getting any worse, so I suspect it's not a major problem. The car is used as a daily driver, 50 min to work both ways, mostly highway, so I don't think there is a problem with it warming up. Do these cars run cooler than 928s?

Thanks again for the replys,

Jeff.

Quick Reply: white goo in oil filler neck