Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 03:20 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Question not so smooth shifter?

Has anyone experienced less than ideal shifter behavior on the stock shifter when getting back into 1st when downshifting?
My shifter/linkage/cables seem very smooth when the car is not moving and upshifting is pretty smooth. But when downshifting sometimes it is fairly "stiff" getting back down into 1st; sometimes I need to double clutch or go back into 2nd, then first. I have never heard or felt any synchro/gear grinding or improper meshing. Is this typical with fixed and floating synchros, which I believe this transmission has?
Thanks
Old 05-09-2002, 05:56 PM
brobbinson
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never downshift to 1st (that may be the problem) - its very rough on the transmission of any car. I find that when downshifting in slow traffic - I can shift down to 2nd and the car will idle fine down to as low as 5mph- I only go to first if I have effectively stopped (or close to it) and then the gear slips right in with no problems.
Old 05-09-2002, 09:31 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I agree that 1st gear downshifts can be hard on a drivetrain, but I guess I didn't expect shiftig down into 1st to be as difficult, especially at slow speeds.
I was just wondering if this is normal/typical or if there is an issue with my particular shifter/transmission.
Old 05-09-2002, 09:39 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts
Every Porsche I've had is harder to downshift into first than any other gear, but it shouldn't fail to enter the gate or engage the gear. I'm usually much slower and more deliberate on a 2-1 downshift, but agree it's rarely necessary unless you're at about 2 mph. Maybe you should have a friend try your car if you know anyone who has Porsche experience. I usedto have a Lola Can Am car with an LG600 box. I thought it was extremely difficult until I learned how deliberate you had to be. Then it became the best gearbox I ever had. AS
Old 05-10-2002, 12:05 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts
Went out for a fun run today, and tried out the gears after reading your post. I usually don't downshift to 1st unless I am at a dead stop. I learned to drive on a WW II weapons carrier with no synchro on first. Old habits die hard. Anyway, with my current car at a dead stop, it slips right in to 1st. With the car motion, it is definitely harder to downshift to first. No gnashing of gears or audible complaints, but feels kinda rubbery. Don't know if it is by intentional design for it to do so, since 2nd gear in the close ratio 6 speed seems to be adequate even if the car is barely rolling. If you are blasting off the line, you would probably stay on 1st up to redline anyway.

Quick Reply: not so smooth shifter?