From Viper GTS to... 996, 911 Turbo 3.6, or M5

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2001, 02:08 PM
Carboy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post From Viper GTS to... 996, 911 Turbo 3.6, or M5

Guys,

I really need some honest feedback. I'm selling my Viper GTS and am considering a 964 Turbo 3.6, M5, or 996. I even began looking at 993's as I hear they are classics etc.

I also have a Q45 and 944 Turbo with wheels etc. So I can't decided if I want my flagship toy to be M5 (two four doors) or another Porsche (2 doors) much less which Porshe to buy. Any feedback on pros and cons would be helpful.
Old 12-27-2001, 03:10 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Get a 964 3.6 Turbo if you want a car that has close to the same acceleration as your Viper. You can modify a 3.6 Turbo to be faster than a Viper but it will cost a pretty penny. A stock 993 or 996 with be considerably slower in a straight line, but a 993 Turbo (which you didn't mention) will be about even with the Viper.

What are you going to do with the car? If it is for cruising around the 996 would probably be more comfortable while the 993/964's would be more visceral. Drive a few and figure it out for yourself. Personally I wouldn't have both a Q45 and a M5, while they are very different cars they are very similar in design, and intent.IMO.

Greg
Old 12-27-2001, 06:17 PM
996blue
Advanced

my thoughts....

why Porsche....

I nearly bought a Viper so I think I can put this into context.

I found that what I really wanted was a reliable/bullet proof car that was fast and fun (think convertible), looked like nothing else on the road, and could be driven everyday if necessary, and was not chased by every Mustang GT owner....it had to be Porsche

If 4.8 seconds to 60 and a top speed of 174+ miles is not good enough, go with the turbo. A friend who had an M5 swapped it in for an M3 because it was too "big" to be a sports car(his other car was a Lexus)

ex-Viper-fan (that's another story)
Old 12-28-2001, 06:11 PM
Jim Hodel
Advanced

Like Greg says, it depends on what you want to do with the car. It also depends on your price range. I currently have a 99 Viper GTS and think that a 996TT would make a great replacement, but the price difference is substantial.

I don't have any real need for a 'larger' sport sedan, so the M5 would not be my first choice.

If I had $90,000 to spend, I'd look at a 993TT, although that is getting up there in the $$$ for a used car with no warranty, but like I said, it depends on your price range.

I don't know about the 94 3.6 turbo. It may have as many quirks as our Vipers, and like the Viper, it may not be so good for everyday use (but fun....)

For a high quality, modern, and still quite fast car, the newest version of the 996 is definitely worth checking out.

These are the good 'problems' in life, aren't they?

Jim
Old 12-28-2001, 07:15 PM
Graham
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Carboy:
<STRONG>Guys,

I really need some honest feedback. I'm selling my Viper GTS and am considering a 964 Turbo 3.6, M5, or 996.</STRONG>
The M5 is probably the best full size car that you can buy. Performance is awesome, comfort is fabulous, and it's relatively low key and doesn't attract too much attention.

If you are looking for a similar seat of the pants experience to the Viper, I'd avoid the 996 as I think you'd find it too tame. I have a '00 996 cab and it's fun, but no Viper. A TT would be closer.

Alternatively, if you want performance have you considered a '02 Z06 Corvette? (flame suite on). This is my 'performance' alternative to my cab - despite what people say, it's an AWESOME piece of equipement and is arguably better built than my 996. I've invested a lot of cash in performance upgrades in my 996 cab and it still doesn't have a patch on my Z06.

Choices, choices...

Graham

Quick Reply: From Viper GTS to... 996, 911 Turbo 3.6, or M5