Sponsored by:

Best way to sell my 01?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 03:19 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lowside67
just a point of reference, i just paid $29500usd for my 99 C2 cabrio with 55xxx miles.
holly smoke, that's a good deal.
a week ago, a PA dealer wanted 39500 for CPO 50K 99 C2 cab, i was thinking about it, and second day he called me saying it's sold. back to the search again.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:35 PM
Carolina Cutter
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I'm surprised that it hasn't gone yet... I've got a couple of people who are going to look at it later this week... but all of the dealers are asking well above $50K... I'm assumming that they would work that price done, but it doesn't look like cars are going for less than private party value around San Francisco.

Daniel
Old 01-03-2006, 08:14 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by pl
holly smoke, that's a good deal.
a week ago, a PA dealer wanted 39500 for CPO 50K 99 C2 cab, i was thinking about it, and second day he called me saying it's sold. back to the search again.
You can own this one for $33,500 picked up in California heh.

-Mark
Attached Images  
Old 01-04-2006, 11:40 AM
ttowsontt
Intermediate

6 months ago i was selling my 01 911 with less than 30k miles on it because i was buying a lotus elise. i was under the impression that i would be able to trade it in for 42-43k. car was near fully loaded (wheels, gauges, exhaust, sills from champion, full aero kit, short shift, full carbon interior to name a few) sticker around 100k and the mileage was great, car was perfect. i was in for a rude awakening when the dealer only wanted to give me 38k for it. so i put it on auto trader and after a couple months priced at 45k (which i thought was aggressive to sell) i finally sold it for 43k. with your car being 2 years older, much higher mileage and less options, i can tell you honestly that if you want to sell it, 45 is too high. high 30's is more like it, im pretty sure that if you went to a dealer and attempted to trade they would offer you low to mid 30's at the most. i could be wrong but thats just my opinion. this is in no way an attempt to be a dick im just giving you my opinion from my experience. good luck with your sale.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:26 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

I would agree that mid to high $30Ks is what this car will go for in a "normal" market condition. One of the earlier posters made a comment about what original sticker was, forgetting that supply and demand determine market pricing, not the original sticker price. There is not a fixed depreciation schedule that most products go on; I sell computer hardware for a living and you would be shocked to see how cheap a $2.5 Million list price server goes for 6 months after it has been released by a major manufacturer...

The "regular model" [i.e Carrera 2, 4, and cabrios] 996s have sold in record numbers for Porsche, so there are a lot of people out there trying to sell cars and not as many buyers for the cars. It's a really soft market right now. Not to mention a lot of people are not too hip to buying a Porsche out of warranty as-is, and the price gets further diluted for out of warranty cars. CPO'd cars will probably fetch a 10-20% premium over a regular private sale I would think due to the peace of mind that it still has warranty on the most expensive parts that can go "boom". Just my opinion, but "regular" 996s have been steadily creeping down and they aren't suddenly going to take a turn for the better anytime soon.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:27 PM
searching4996
Racer

"The "regular model" [i.e Carrera 2, 4, and cabrios] 996s have sold in record numbers for Porsche, so there are a lot of people out there trying to sell cars and not as many buyers for the cars. It's a really soft market right now. Not to mention a lot of people are not too hip to buying a Porsche out of warranty as-is, and the price gets further diluted for out of warranty cars. CPO'd cars will probably fetch a 10-20% premium over a regular private sale I would think due to the peace of mind that it still has warranty on the most expensive parts that can go "boom". Just my opinion, but "regular" 996s have been steadily creeping down and they aren't suddenly going to take a turn for the better anytime soon."

Well it would appear that you're correct based on what I've been noticing on ebay the past few months. A green 99c2 cabriolet with 49k miles just sold for 30700, and a blue coupe with 25k looks like it's about to go for the same amount! Since I'm in the market for one this is great news for me, but not so great for the folks that have a 996 currently. In prior models, these cars seemed to hold a % of their value for a longer time frame. Are these dropping more quickly due to too much supply or because of the RMS issues?
Old 01-04-2006, 08:13 PM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

I think the price drop is due to several factors:

1. Previous Porsche's (such as the 993's) were made in much smaller numbers than the 996. Many will argue that the quality was higher and, because of the air-cooled engines, they maintain the mystique of being the last of the traditional 911's. Therefore, nice examples are maintaining excellent resale values.

2. The RMS and "grenading" issues are a big concern. I owned a 993 C4S so I knew about the potentials getting a CEL resulting from clogged secondary air passages or the possibility of valve guide wear. When I was looking for my 993, however, I looked at a bunch of cars. Not one of them had a replacement engine or had any major engine work.
Many on this board that downplay the engine problems of the 996 are turning a blind eye to the magnitude of the problem. I think that they are relating their own fortunate experience and are not aware of all the problems others are having. I have looked at almost 30 996's over the last three months and 26 of them either had RMS issues or had replacement engines. I could give you links right now to nice cars on ebay that I have inquired about (all with low miles) that have had a replacement engine or RMS issues. I am finding that when it comes to 996's the odds are that it's not a matter of "if" you will have an RMS issue but a matter of "when".

3. The 997 looks are more traditional and "retro" styling is fashionable. Also, many people did not care for the dash styling of the 996.

All that being said, a 996 with factory warranty is a great vehicle. I am in the market for a newer 996 with at least 2 years of warranty. The depreciation curve on these has made the prices very attractive!
Old 01-04-2006, 08:29 PM
searching4996
Racer

Well I've looked at five, and all of them had an RMS replacement. Nonetheless, are these cars now suddenly prone to lots of problems, or are they now fixed? I wouldn't be terribly upset if I had to replace an RMS every 30000 miles for 1 k, but a grenading engine would scare the heck out of me. Thanks for sharing your points, they seem very valid to this discussion.

Quick Reply: Best way to sell my 01?