Sponsored by:

Mix of N1 and N2

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 10:30 PM
Brick
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Mix of N1 and N2

Just received a magazine from Porsche I guess, called Christophorus. In it there is an article detailing some points about tires and it warns to not mix tires of different specifications or manufacture.

My car has Continental SportContact on the front and SportContact II on the rear. N1 front, N2 rear. As I read the article this is not correct and it says driving performance may vary significantly.

Both are 18" and in this chart the SportContact is listed as only 16".

So am I mixed up to a point I should be considering a change to make the specification match? How did I end up mismatched anyway if this is a known issue I wonder? I purchased the car used this last year and these tires (in new condition) were on the car. Is this widely known and I am the last to know?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 04-21-2003, 10:36 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Porsche's warnings are, in a way, extreme for those who drive their cars near the limit. It is OK to mix N numbers but I wouldn't mix tires of a completely different tread.
Old 05-02-2003, 06:12 PM
Dustman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bridgestone just paid to take off my new SO2 (non-pole position) tires as they couldnt find matching N front and rears...my 01 911 C4 Coupe was having severe noise and wobbles due to the different compounds (n).
No I have Toyo, huge problems.
Old 05-02-2003, 07:08 PM
Fluke996
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the exact setup you have and have not noticed any difference in handling on the street, normal to aggressive driving of course. I switched the rears to Conti II's because the original Sport Contacts were wearing so fast. The II's have a higher wear rating.

Quick Reply: Mix of N1 and N2