Hardtop fitment

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 11:27 PM
911porschefan
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hardtop fitment

2001 C2 Cab - Hardtop fitment issue.

Does anyone have any experience with the hardtops. On my hardtop the passenger side does it fit as snug as the driver side, about a 1/2 cm difference. I noticed today when I was cleaning the inside of my car. It is secure and I do not think it is going anywhere, but it looks odd. I just got the car so I have not seen the car with the top on except when I picked it up 2 weeks ago.
Attached Images   
Old 12-12-2005, 11:34 PM
UNC Nick
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine fits pretty snug. Don't have the gap that you're showing. '00 C2 cab.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:45 AM
gpallem
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take the little key Porsche provides--orange 4" handle with hex tip. Reloosen the whole thing (first the front lever under the plastic overhead console strip), then both the backs. Retighten--it's about a 1/2 turn to lock down. You can visually see the bolt engage and pull down the silver painted tower/surround. My guess is that the higher side is not fully engaged, but I would first loosen the whole thing so as to not do any damage. When the bolt locks in place, you can feel it drive home/seat.

Geert
Old 12-13-2005, 11:29 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Couple of things to troubleshoot first:
1. Take off the covers so you can see the bolt down point.
2. Make sure the front 2 spots by the windshield (the tongue and groove) are both properly seated.
3. On the screw down hex bolt you need to make sure you move the bolt till you hear it pop/snap into place.
4. On the top of the screw down hex bolt there is a white painted arrow and white dot on one side as well as a green and red dot that are stationary. You want to make sure the white dot lines up with the green dot (or red dot if removing) which will signify you are in the correct position.

If those suggestions fail then there is something else coming into play, like a warped/bent/creased top.

But first things first, remove that plastic cover so we can see where the bolt is engaging.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:17 PM
Cay-ute
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had the same issue when I reinstalled my hardtop this year. One side would not go down completely. Turns out that you have to loosen both sides then work on the side that was giving you problems. once that one is snug the other side should engage and tighten. I had to play with mine for about fifteen mintues before I could get both sides to engage properly. From you photos, your problem is identical to what I was dealing with. Good luck!!
Old 12-13-2005, 09:51 PM
911porschefan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gpallem
Take the little key Porsche provides--orange 4" handle with hex tip. Reloosen the whole thing (first the front lever under the plastic overhead console strip), then both the backs. Retighten--it's about a 1/2 turn to lock down. You can visually see the bolt engage and pull down the silver painted tower/surround. My guess is that the higher side is not fully engaged, but I would first loosen the whole thing so as to not do any damage. When the bolt locks in place, you can feel it drive home/seat.

Geert
Geert - I tried that several times, and it locks into place and I feel it engaging. Everything looks feels like it is locked down, there is just that gap.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:04 PM
911porschefan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
Couple of things to troubleshoot first:
1. Take off the covers so you can see the bolt down point.
2. Make sure the front 2 spots by the windshield (the tongue and groove) are both properly seated.
3. On the screw down hex bolt you need to make sure you move the bolt till you hear it pop/snap into place.
4. On the top of the screw down hex bolt there is a white painted arrow and white dot on one side as well as a green and red dot that are stationary. You want to make sure the white dot lines up with the green dot (or red dot if removing) which will signify you are in the correct position.

If those suggestions fail then there is something else coming into play, like a warped/bent/creased top.

But first things first, remove that plastic cover so we can see where the bolt is engaging.
The covers are off and the front is seated properly and everything snapped/popped into place. I will look at the dots and see if they line up right. I really hope the top is not warped/bent. Is there a nut or something on the bolt that adjusts the height or something?
Old 12-14-2005, 12:34 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

When you have the top bolted down, try and lift the top up at that corner like you were going to remove the hartop and see if it is bolted down solid or does it move up? If so then you have a fitment issue that we need to work on.

However, if the front has both tongue's in each their respective groove across the front support bar and the rear bolted down to the locked position (where you hear them pop into locked positions and the dots line up) then we can get a better understanding.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:09 PM
911porschefan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
When you have the top bolted down, try and lift the top up at that corner like you were going to remove the hartop and see if it is bolted down solid or does it move up? If so then you have a fitment issue that we need to work on.

However, if the front has both tongue's in each their respective groove across the front support bar and the rear bolted down to the locked position (where you hear them pop into locked positions and the dots line up) then we can get a better understanding.
Dell - when I lift the top they do not budge at all, they are secure on the car. I tried both sides, and they are bolted on tight. The front tongue is in the groove and the rear is definitely bolted down. At high speed, 200km/h the there is no wind noise or and shakiness from the roof. The only thing I noticed was the large gap.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:14 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

When I used a hardtop on my '99 I remember having one side high, and we did the above to it and it popped right into place (first time). Never had fitment issues like this, and both sides were always even, and tight.

On the C4S Cab ('04) the hardtop hangs neatly on the wallmount rack, in it's cover. Glass rear window makes the hardtop obsolete around here.

And we're due for a huge ice storm tonight/tomorrow, so the parts-hauler (Ford Escape 4wd) will get abused.

Keep working it. Is there any chance the hardtop got beaned while off the car? I doubt the top is warped, but it could be one of the pins is bent.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 12-15-2005, 11:50 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I am stumped now on this one. I am beginning to this there is something like Eric mentioned (ie, bent pins, etc.). This is definitely a new one for us. Anybody locally that can look at it?
Old 12-15-2005, 12:49 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

LVDell
The "large gap" may be a missunderstanding.
Yes I saw your 1st pics (that both appear to be of the back right interior corner).......possibly you coud provide an exterior pic (of the gap).

Understand that these tops are a separate piece that, even with perfect install, still appear to be a 'seperate piece' from the car.
That large seal along that back edge only compresses so much......and that's it......there is a gap bet the aluminum top and the car body.
If your's feels secure........if it is quiet........if on the exterior the gap appears to be relatively uniform right to left.........you are done. Take a look at the pic below of my wife's C4......see the gap.

Old 12-15-2005, 12:51 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I will be installing my hardtop later today for the winter so I will take pics, etc., to compare.

911PorscheFan......please post pics of both sides exterior and interior.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:13 PM
m5guru
Instructor

The "socket" where the pin fits down into can be adjusted fore/aft, left/right, and up/down. I had a similar issue when I bought a hardtop from someone else for my car. I think it was a 17mm socket. If I recall, you need a wrench and a socket (deep socket?) to loosen the nuts that secure the hardtop receptacle to its mounting plate. My issue was that I felt the top was "riding high" both on the left and right side at the rear edge so I wanted to lower both sockets to lessen the visible gap between the hardtop and the body. I suspect you do not want too little of a gap between the two pieces as chassis flex with relation to the top when it is fixed in place may cause the edge of the top to scrape the body with all of those attendent hassles/scratches. The service manual has instructions on how to adjust the top and the range of acceptable "gaps" in the various places where the top meets the car proper. I'll see if I can get a .pdf of those pages of the manual.

David
Old 12-15-2005, 06:36 PM
RWO
Burning Brakes

I have a gap on both sides; it is large enough to slip my fingers into. It is the same size on both sides... You might want to have a dealer look at yours. I had mine looked at last week because it was making a ton of noise. Turns out there was a bad part in the lock-down system. They are replacing that part on Tuesday...

Roy

Quick Reply: Hardtop fitment