Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Another grand ole time at Thunderhill : )

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002, 11:17 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts
Post Another grand ole time at Thunderhill : )

I just took out my baby to Thunderhill for a DE event this Sunday and I get so amazed how well 996's do superbly on the track. I was in group B(divided in groups A,B and C(C being more experienced)and each grouped had 30 cars and in my group I couldn't believe how many Corvette Z06's were out there and C5's which I thought I was participating in the Corvette club. Also other cars worth noting in my group(can't mention all) was 930 turbo, 911 sc, boxster s, porsche 914, audi s4, amg e55, e46 m3 and other smaller players. Let me just tell you Z06's could not even compete with me. There's a 90 degree hairpin turn before the straightaway and being z06's being so trq heavy they have to go full throttle really late at the turn or else risk spinning off and each and everytime I was able to throttle early at the turn and be ahead by 6 car lengths and they couldn't overtake me because by next turn(chicane) I'm already at the turn. The only car out there that maybe comparable was the 930 turbo and just maybe if the driver was more experienced he coulda overtaken me but it was my day at the track. I had no problems ovetaking any car on the track. I wish I can go on and on but you'll be sleeping by then : ). I definitely recommend anyone who has a 996 or porsche to go do DE events-it will show why you bought it in the first place. Another thing to mention is I added an airetek intake and a second map for 100 octane by TRG(map for 91 and 100 octane controlled via switch) and with reference to past DE events performance was way improved. On the straightaway to the next turn, my car maximum top speed prior to the above mods was 110 mph. This time around I was hitting 120 mph and I definitely felt more power all the way to redline vs. before. And boy was those fabspeeds at full throttle simply delicious(got alot of compliments : ) !!!). Enjoy your Porsche-best car in the track and in the street!!! Regards. Mike
Old 05-07-2002, 01:51 PM
Jim Hodel
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was this event the Thunderhill DE day? I am going to be attending the June 1 day. Also, how much traffic was there? Were you able to get any clear laps? It sounds like it was pretty crowded. I've only driven at T-hill once before and we ran the entire 15 turn course including turn 5. Did you guys do the same course?

There's a lot to learn at T-hill for sure - it has quite a combination of uphill, downhill, and off camber turns.

What kind of mods do you have on your car? Most of the well driven Z06s I've seen have been competitive with 996s and other Porsches.

Jim
Old 05-07-2002, 04:21 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

I am planning to attend June 1st as well with a friend of mind who has a 930 turbo. Other tehn waht was listed on my credits that is what I've done to date but only additional changes was a map for 100 oct(Unichip) and the airetek intake. I noticed I was able to go consistently 120 mph top speed versus 110 mph before. For some reason maybe because I was late in getting signed up but I was in group B and I was only using half the track. I know this time I'll be group c for June 1st. I was kinda disappointed because my friend(e36 m3) was in group c(same experience as me) but he signed up earlier. Oh well I said what can you do. I can tell you that with 30 cars on the track esp half track is tite but it depends how close you are to the pregrid. I normally like to be close to first or in the middle. The full track I didn't notice any bogging down. What car do you drive? Looking forward to seeing you there. MIke
Old 05-07-2002, 06:25 PM
Jim Hodel
Advanced

Hmm, does that mean that the A and B drivers only got to run part of the track? I have signed up for the Intermediate (B) group because all of my track experience is in a Z28 on race rubber and I'll be driving down from Portland for only the second track day in my 99 Viper GTS, and I'll be running my normal street tires.

I thought that B group made sense, except I do want to run the entire 15 turn course, and would like a format with open passing on the straights (I know when to pass, and when to let others pass).

My other time at Thunderhill was at Viper Days where there was plenty of room on track, and good passing rules.

Thanks for the info.

Jim
Old 05-07-2002, 09:49 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

You should set yourself up at C group because if you do B group you only be using half the track which is only 7 turns. Give them a call and get into C group. Looking forward to seeing the Viper which the times I went to Thunderhill have never seen one on the track. Regards. Mike
Old 05-08-2002, 03:23 PM
Jim Hodel
Advanced

Hi Mike, it looks like I need to stay in group B because I have not taken a previous school at Thunderhill. That's Ok - it's not like I was expecting to set any lap records out there.

I'll be in the black Viper with silver stripes and Oregon plates. Stop by and say hi.

Jim
Old 05-08-2002, 04:15 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Definitely will Jim-will be watching you fly in your Viper : ). My license plate number reads "996FLT6" like my rennlist name so it'll be fun. Have you done any mods on your car. I know you can do alot of things on your car. My friend will be in group B I think- he has a 79 930 turbo(stock) so please don't shame him too much : ). Regards. Mike

Quick Reply: Another grand ole time at Thunderhill : )