996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

window rattle when it's cold????

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 09:22 PM
skipp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default window rattle when it's cold????

I've noticed when the temperature drops below 50 degrees, I get a jiggle between the window glass and the rubber seals on my convertible top. If you crack the window it goes away, so its just a rubbing between the glass and the rubber....it's driving my mad. Is there a fix.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:57 PM
animull
Track Day

Happens on my coupe as well, but only when the window is activated with the door handle. I've had this problem with a number of German autos, both convertible and coupes, though always worse on convertibles. I'm told there is a lubricant that can be applied that keeps the seals soft and slows down the drying process. Griots sells a dressing that might work, though I've never tried it. http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=11169.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:24 PM
skipp
Instructor

I put vaseline on the seal to try to break the friction, but this doesn't seem to last...any other products or solutions out there. It's obviously the contraction that goes on when it gets cold.

Can the window be adjusted to be a tighter fit?
Old 12-06-2005, 11:05 PM
UNC Nick
Instructor

There's a BMW lubricant called "Gumi" or "Gumiphledge" that is really good. I'm waiting on the local dealer to get a new shipment in to pick some up for just this reason. Put the hardtop on a week ago after storing it indoors- dried seals=squeeks!
Old 12-07-2005, 10:27 AM
skipp
Instructor

I've used t hat with my old BMW...I thought they had quit making the product....I've been using vasoline instead. Do you know if it's any different than expensive vasoline?
Old 12-07-2005, 10:57 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Would a spray or plumber's grease not do the job?
Old 12-07-2005, 01:47 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I have used with success dielectric grease. You can puchase it at most auto parts stores. I have used this on many of my Corvettes and BMW's with no problem. Stops squeeks and lubricates the rubber. Pretty cheap stuff too. The only downside to using any grease or lubricant is it attracts dirt and dust.

Adam

Quick Reply: window rattle when it's cold????