Sponsored by:

996 Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 07:36 PM
ER996
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 996 Rattles

So I've now taken my '03 996 coupe (2200 miles) to the dealership for rattle repair 4 times. All of the squeeks and creeks from the window seals, etc. have been fixed along the way. However, there is a rattle in the dash (passenger side around the airbag) that they have not been able to fix in four attempts. They keep saying nothing is loose, it's just things hitting together when the car goes over bumps. However, they acknowledge that the car shouldn't rattle this way and they keep trying to fix it. These sounds (which are very annoying unless I'm on a dead smooth surface) they have tried to fix by taping between the surfaces hitting (this was according to a TSB, they said). What usually happens is that the rattles are better when I pick up the car, and slowly come back over the course of a couple of weeks. Now, actually there are rattles by the driver's side air vents as well. It seems to me that something must be going loose, because there is no explanation as to why the tape solution would work for only a period of time.

Has anyone had a similar specific problem and if so, how have you fixed it (if at all). Also, what course of action would you now suggest. There is no other dealer close to where I live or work. Should I contact Porsche directly? I'd rather not get into a lemon law situation since I otherwise really like the car and I don;t want to get into a fight over a rattle (as opposed to something more serious) - technically, however, more than three repair visits for the same problem is per se evidence that the vehicle is a lemon (I had this happen once before a number of years ago on another vehicle). What would you all advise? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-05-2003, 10:14 PM
LanceK
Pro

It sounds like your dealer is trying to accommodate you as best they can.

Personally rattles drive me crazy. However, cars are made up of many parts and eventually will rattle especially in a sports car that has a stiff suspension.

I think your reference to a lemon law is rather far fetched. As a former manufacturer rep I don't recall specifically the details of lemon laws which also vary widely from state to state, but I don't think you would have a case. I think there is usually something about "affecting the safe and intended use of the vehicle". Further I think it's ridiculous that you would even consider a lemon law for a rattle problem. This country has a problem with too many lawsuits as it is. That's like going to a restaurant and expecting to not pay after not having the proper amount of ice cubes in your soda. Like I stated earlier, rattles are a pet peeve of mine but are a fact of life in every car and in the scheme of things are a minor matter.

My suggestion in this case is be happy you have a dealer willing to work with you and if it doesn't work out and it really bothers you sell your car and get a Honda Accord.
Old 06-05-2003, 10:19 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,955 Likes on 2,806 Posts
Rattles are pretty common in the 996 and they are not included in the warranty or lemon laws (AFAIK). Let the dealer keep trying to fix them or get a louder exhaust or stereo...
Old 06-05-2003, 10:59 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts
Pack foam.

Ask the service manager if they have packed foam into the cavity of the dash area under the airbag passenger side from the center console to the a-pillar area.

Soft padding often eliminates much of these problems, as opposed to lubricating seals.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 06-05-2003, 11:12 PM
Keyvan
Racer

I have 200 miles on my car and I have exactly the same rattling sound. It's coming from just behind the airbag or air vent.

It sounds like there is a little pebble in a plastic box. REALLY ANNOYING ...my only solution is leave the exhaust on and play the music loud with the 'Audio Pilot' on so that the amp can cancel out the noise

I'll wait for some more things to start rattling before I go to the dealer.

Quick Reply: 996 Rattles