996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

GHL-Stainless Exhaust Special

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 09:47 PM
42empress
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do the GHL loud mufflers compare to the Fabspeeds?

Thanks
Old 12-21-2005, 09:47 AM
GHL
Banned

Folks,

The special price will be available thru Dec. 31, 2005.

Brian
Old 12-21-2005, 09:37 PM
42empress
Racer

Can anyone comment:

first, where can i find a sound clip of the GHL's? Do both (loud and regular) have the same sound, but that the loud are just simply louder? I am trying to make a decision before this special runs out. I am currently stock, and want a better sound, but do not need everybody turning their heads when i drive by. It sound like the fabspeeds may be too loud for me. I am going from what C4SSurgeon has posted previously.

Thanks for any input.

Jeff
Old 12-22-2005, 08:38 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Et voila!

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ht=ruf+ghl+pse
Old 12-22-2005, 10:04 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Fabs are way louder than GHL's, the GHL quiet are a little louder than stock at low rpm and alot louder at wot, zero resonance. Honestly, if noise is a cosideration(negative that is), you would be better off with the GHL regulars, if you want louder, you can always sell them later.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:53 PM
jedier
Instructor

Question for those who have done this mod: is this a DIY job? The most involved mod I've done on my P-car (or on any car for that matter) is changing the stock shifter to a B&M SSK. If I get the GHL set (my most likely choice right now), would I need to have it installed by a professional?

JM
Old 12-24-2005, 11:49 AM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your avatar is that of a Boxster. Are you asking about installing on a Boxster?

As for 996: I don't know about the GHL, but installing PSE is simple and quite easy. GHL should be no different.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:06 PM
jedier
Instructor

Kevin:
I hadn't realized that my avatar was a Boxster (just shows how much of a newbie I guess I still am). As for the muffler installation, it is for a 996 (00 C2 Cab). I'm guessing that I'll need to jack the car up to have proper access, right?
I'll do an online search but if anyone knows of an install walkthrough (e.g., "step by step"), that would be great.
Thanks,

JM
Old 12-24-2005, 12:30 PM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Yes, jacking the car, if not a requirement, will ease the installation, and I would definitely recommend it. I always jack my car and use jack stands whenever working under the car simply for the additional room and ease of movement. Besides, these cars only have 3.5" or so of ground clearance, so, you can't really do much of anything under the car without jacking.

The installation is very straightforward. The muffler can has a bracket which attaches to the chassis with 3 bolts/nuts, IIRC. The inlet to the muffler can from the cat's is a clamp with two bolts: one which clamps the muffler pipe, the other, the cat pipe. And as for the exhaust tips, that is just a pipe collar with one bolt.

There may be some instructions on Renntech.org. Also search here for threads regarding DIY PSE install.

Post some pics of your Cab!!
Old 12-24-2005, 04:26 PM
StephenB
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

jedier, GHL install is a definite DIY project. The hardest part is aligning the tips. Replacing the old clamps is a good idea as well they only cost about $10 each and will definitely speed up the install. My stock tips never did align properly, but this was not due to the GHL's. I bought a set of Fabspeed tips from Dan Vivid Racing and they align properly.

Steve in NoVA
Old 12-24-2005, 06:12 PM
jedier
Instructor

Kevin, Steve:
Thanks for the feedback. I did find some info here and there (incl. Renntech.org). All in all, it looks straightforward. Now, I just need to get a jack and some stands. Good thing there is another thread currently on the board with some good pointers on this topic.

Steve:
Why Fabspeed tips and not GHL's?

JM
Old 12-24-2005, 09:50 PM
StephenB
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

jedier, the GHL's would have been cheaper as a package deal but I just wasn't sure I would like the wider tips so I ordered just the mufflers. Mistake on my part. The Fabspeeds are well made and I do like the look of the wider tip. Kinda fills out the rear valence a little better. I have about 10k miles on the GHL's now and they still sound good. No annoying resonance and not too loud.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:32 PM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

jedier, here is a link to a thread containing Orient Express' PSE install instructions:

Lots of good pics and info.

FYI, it is not necessary to remove the rear bumper cover (although it does provide superb access).
Old 12-25-2005, 11:05 PM
jedier
Instructor

Steve, Kevin:
Thanks to both of you for all the tips & info! Now, I just need to do it!

As for the pics, it'll have to wait a bit: I need to get the cab clean first and with all the melted snow and salt on the road these days, it's a real challenge.

JM
Old 12-30-2005, 01:34 AM
jedier
Instructor

Brian,
I just sent you a PM for the regular set w/ tips.

JM

Quick Reply: GHL-Stainless Exhaust Special