Sponsored by:

ignition switch busted!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2002, 10:49 PM
geng77
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post ignition switch busted!

i just recently bought a 2000 996 with 31k miles. yesterday was my second week with the car. lastnight as i pull into my garage, my key is stuck when i try to pull it out from the 0 position. i tried everything and the key was still stuck. then i finally turn the key counter clock wise and was beable to pull it out. i thought that was very weird.. so i tried to put the key back into the ignition, then the problems starts. i couldn't put the key back in as there were something inside thats blocking it. i had to wait 5 minutes before i can put the keys back in. and when i start the car up. the ignition wont bounch back to the normal stage so i have to turn it a little . what a bummer!

i'm taking the car to service tomorrow. and i wonder if its covered by the warrantee. its a 2000 996 with 31k miles.
Old 08-19-2002, 01:54 AM
Paul in CA
Intermediate

Should be covered by warranty. I had my ignition tumbler replaced under warranty. It developed a crack and caused some weird problems. I think there was even a TSB on it for earlier 996s but not 2000 though.

It should be quick though. They replaced the tumbler while I waited. It took them like 15 minutes.

Good luck!
Old 08-20-2002, 07:16 PM
Jim B
1st Gear

Two weeks ago my lights would not turn on. After parking the car I could not re-start it because the key would not go in the ignition. I had it towed to the dealer who replaced the ignition with a spare. I am waiting for my new ignition to arrive from Germany and then back in for the final replacement.
Note: I had trouble removing my key for several weeks before this happened and did not realize this was a warning of bigger problems to come. I have 48K miles on the car.

Jim B
1999 996 C4
Old 08-20-2002, 07:57 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts
One question do you try forcing it out when steering wheel is locked. To avoid hassles about tumbler problems trying turning sterring wheel to right or left when fiddling with ignition. It didn't happen to me in my pcar but on my ML320 and key broke off-what a pain in the ***. Regards. Mike
Old 08-21-2002, 12:23 AM
geng77
AutoX

damn.. i didn't have to wait that long for them to fix it. lucky me. i dont know what it was but it took the dealer a couple of hours to fix it. its as good as new now.. i should find out what it was.
Old 08-21-2002, 02:23 AM
TurboMark
Pro

This just happened to me a few weeks ago when i was test driving a 99 c2 w/ 23K milles. The car would start but the AC/Wipers/heated seats/etc would not operate while driving. Unforunately, we discovered this on the Interstate when it started raining (I had the sales guy hang HIS head out the window!). According to the non porsche dealer that had the car, it was a 10 min fix covered under warranty.

Quick Reply: ignition switch busted!