996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Cheapest nationwide auto insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 12:58 PM
Edward Kay
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cheapest nationwide auto insurance?

Hello All,

I need to move off of Geico (aka ripoff) on to a more reasonable insurance company. I am a 31 year old single male with flawless driving record (no tickets or accidents) and excellent credit.

I need to insure my 1999 Porsche 911 Cab and 1997 BMW 528i. I do not want to put homeowner's or anything else with the company.

Any ideas? Anyone with a remotely similar profile? What are you paying? I need to get a company with a good AM Best/S&P rating that will actually pay claims if needed. My best quote to date is AMICA at $1487 a year. 100/300 Standard Coverage with dual $500 deductibles.

Thank you,
Edward
Rennlist Member
Old 06-02-2003, 05:48 PM
Dmitri
Instructor

For what it's worth, I live in Long Beach, CA and have had all of my cars insured with AMICA Mutual for the past 7 or 8 years, including my 03 Coupe. They're among the best-priced (read, lowest), but you don't sacrifice customer service. If I had to recommend a reputable auto insurer in Southern California, these folks definitely get my vote.
Old 06-02-2003, 06:38 PM
ettsn
Pro

Agreed. Edward - see my post in the Boxster forum.

-Paul
Old 06-02-2003, 06:56 PM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

21st Century always treats people right!
Old 06-02-2003, 08:28 PM
Dmitri
Instructor

Edward - If you want to compare insurers based not only on AM Best ratings (which measures financial solvency) but on the number of justified complaints relative to market share, check out the California Department of Insurance's website <a href="http://www.insurance.ca.gov" target="_blank">www.insurance.ca.gov</a>

Just as an example, per 100,000 auto policy holders, 21st Century had 4.23 "justified" complaints vs. AMICA's 0.00. This may be owing to AMICA's smaller market share. In any event, once you've selected an insurer that quotes you a good rate and has a decent Best's rating, I'd suggest you pay a visit to the DOI's website and see what the complaint ratios are like as well as the sorts of complaints the DOI has had to field. It's very enlightening.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:38 AM
Edward Kay
Advanced

Thanks Guys!

I am going to seriously look at AMICA and State Farm. AMICA has awesome ratings. I pulled them up on INSWEB and they were $1480 a year to insure both cars. I also visited their web site and it looked great. You can do SO much online with your AMICA policy. That is the one thing I liked about Geico.

Quick Reply: Cheapest nationwide auto insurance?