Some comments on oil change frequency

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 09:10 AM
Scott MacDonald
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Somewhere else
I read that it creates a better seal thereby reducing the amount of contaminants
through the rings."

Actually, the synthetic oils are supposed to cause MORE seal leakage than the traditional oils, and that was my experience with my 928 S4. I've not had a problem using Mobil 1 in the 996, however.

Scott
Old 11-25-2005, 11:55 AM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many times is this debate going to go on?

I think this guy has about the only really valid point on here. The rest is just opinions and conjecture:

Originally Posted by Orient Express
The best way to find out if the factory interval is right for your type of driving is to have the oil tested to see how it is holding up.

A good place to have this done is at Blackstone Laboratories.

I have had all of my cars oil tested there after changing it out at the factory interval, and found that the oil's physical properties were well within their specifications and that contaminants such as fuel, antifreeze or other insolubles were well within tolerances. Because of that, I have kept my oil change interval at 15K on the 996.

Here are the things that the oil is tested for.

The test is only $20 and will help you establish a solid baseline for the useful life of the engine oil in your car and for your driving situation.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:13 AM
42empress
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot depends on the driving. Short trips, not warming up fully, letting car idle to warm up in the winter all deterioate the oil or add to contaminant (ie gas) Longg drives on hwy at reasonable rpms are the best. Tractor trailors go at least 20K between changes. The synthetic oils will not break down from a heat or wear standpoint, but if contaminants get in the oil, that is a different issue.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:27 PM
SPR
Drifting

What's with everyone's car burning oil? Mine burns Nothing. It does give a distinctive stink from the engine area after driving it hard though, and have been through what 5 rms's, and a cam seal but otherwise consumption wise it has never eaten oil. My car is at 15k now about to do the change and I thought it would be maybe a little low? Nope. I think that people just don't break the car in right when the get it new and you get mass oil consumption. I know this for a fact with previous friends' cars- A cayanne turbo was the worst of the bunch- but that's what you get when you buy it and floor it from the get go, then wonder, why am I burning so much oil?
Old 11-27-2005, 12:28 AM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SPR
What's with everyone's car burning oil?
Yeah, seriously. The standard answer is that it's normal in a 911. But then how come some people don't burn oil? I drove the hell out of my C4 but I never burned more than about 1/2 qt every 10K miles!

Quick Reply: Some comments on oil change frequency