Sponsored by:

Ran against a 986 Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 06:52 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
So if the Boxster S is competitive with a 996, the Cayman S should be faster. It weighs less and has more HP than the Boxster S.
Don't jump to conclusions. Given equivalent drivers, a 996 will easily beat a 986S. Been there, done that, several times, on a race track during DE. The newer Boxster, the 987S, feels fast, is fast, a lot of fun, but I can't beat my own time in the 996 C4S with the 987S. So the 996 C4S is still faster. One caveat, though. I do have more seat time in the 996 C4S, so theoretically I'm better as a C4S driver than as a 987S driver.

Along the same vein, given equivalent drivers, the 997 should easily beat a Cayman. Porsche designed them that way. Now, a Cayman vs a 996? My unbiased opinion , the 996 wins, heh-heh-heh .
Old 11-21-2005, 09:20 PM
agio
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Driving a track by a competent experienced driver (such as Sebring or the Glen) with practically any recent version of the Porsche compared to an inexperienced driver, the likelihood is that the former is faster...nearly every time. Now, to make a point: if the latter driver has, say, 50 hp more and all other things (roughly) equal, the latter will usually be faster. But 20 or so hp, most likely will not make that latter driver faster. Of course, equal drivers, the latter is faster.
I guess y'all know this already, but felt like typing. hehehe.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:30 AM
Cloud964
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dad can beat up your dad, too...
Old 11-22-2005, 05:59 AM
DHL LMP2
Track Day

You mentioned that you didn't know if the Boxster had an auto. I have no experience with any manual Porsches, just my Boxster S Tip. It's ridiculously easy to just plant the throttle and listen to the tranny shift at redline while I hold on and watch for cops. I've yet to lose a stoplight drag to an Evo or WRX STI, cars which should have more power than mine. In my opinion it's pretty hard to outshift a modern high performance automatic. Your results may vary!
Old 11-22-2005, 06:19 AM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
Along the same vein, given equivalent drivers, the 997 should easily beat a Cayman. Porsche designed them that way. Now, a Cayman vs a 996? My unbiased opinion , the 996 wins, heh-heh-heh .
FWIW, it's my understanding that the Cayman S is actually faster around Nurmburgring than a base 997. Driving for the factory, Walter Rohrl posted an 8:11 'Ring time in the Cayman S.

In the real world, I agree that driver skill is the determinative factor. Alas, my own skills fall slightly short of Mr. Rorhl's.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:42 AM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean
FWIW, it's my understanding that the Cayman S is actually faster around Nurmburgring than a base 997. Driving for the factory, Walter Rohrl posted an 8:11 'Ring time in the Cayman S.
In this month's Panorama, in their Cayman S "first drive" article, this 8:11 time is mentioned, and the time is qualified as having been with a Cayman S with PASM, PCCB's, Sport Chrono Plus, and 19's, and that the time is slightly SLOWER than a 911 Carrera. I read somewhere in the last couple of weeks that this 8:11 time is four seconds slower than the base 997.

In the Sept 2005 issue of Excellence, at the factory technical introduction to the Cayman in Weissach, Wolfgang Durheimer, head of Weissach Research and Development, when asked how the Cayman S stacks up against the 997 Carrera at the N'ring, replied (and this is a quote), "The Cayman S is eight seconds slower than the Carrera." Perhaps this is for a base spec Cayman S.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:42 AM
harris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DHL LMP2
You mentioned that you didn't know if the Boxster had an auto. I have no experience with any manual Porsches, just my Boxster S Tip. It's ridiculously easy to just plant the throttle and listen to the tranny shift at redline while I hold on and watch for cops. I've yet to lose a stoplight drag to an Evo or WRX STI, cars which should have more power than mine. In my opinion it's pretty hard to outshift a modern high performance automatic. Your results may vary!

i is sooooo easy to get official numbers when you drive tiptronic cars....

manual is avery different situation.....

6 monts ago.... a friend of mine ( 996 stock tiptronic) raced a slightly moded 996 turbo....(450 ps or something like that)

the tiptronic was in fornt one car in every of 6 races made that day....

changing gears is not that easy...

you need to synchronize feet, know when to change gear, and how to synch clutch and gas pedal.....
Old 11-22-2005, 08:46 AM
harris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Palting
Don't jump to conclusions. Given equivalent drivers, a 996 will easily beat a 986S. Been there, done that, several times, on a race track during DE. The newer Boxster, the 987S, feels fast, is fast, a lot of fun, but I can't beat my own time in the 996 C4S with the 987S. So the 996 C4S is still faster. One caveat, though. I do have more seat time in the 996 C4S, so theoretically I'm better as a C4S driver than as a 987S driver.

a 996 will easily beat a 986S.....and it should be like that....

marketing purposes...

when 944 turbo 250 ps came out 964 had very diffecult days......

almost same perfomance for a fraction of a cost....
Old 11-22-2005, 11:44 AM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

On a recent track day, a new 987S started behind me (1/2 lap) on the long course at Shannonville. I have an 01 C2 Cab with 25k miles, 18's (crummy Kumhos with 14k miles....new tires next season) and the M030 suspension and am an intermediate driver (smooth, but a little slower than I'd like!). I had the hardtop installed which is an extra 80 lbs. Of interest to all those of advanced years, I was the oldest driver with the oldest car of all those in attendance.....Paul Newman is my idol.
987S did catch me about lap 8 and passed.....he was trying hard as he had a good spin on the next session....quite a car I would say. On a previous track day on the same course, I was slightly faster than the 2 996 C4S cars in my group
Conclusion...it's the driver that makes the difference!
I would like to purchase a 987S for my wife. The 987S driver had changed from a C2 coupe and said that they are very small inside compared with the 996......one of the many reasons I chose the 996 on initial purchase. We are fortunate to have so many great cars to chooose from.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:29 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the great things about Porsche's current line-up of the Boxster, 997 and Cayman is that the powertrains are pretty much interchangeable. If any available boxer 6 can be put in any of the three chassis' then we really don't know what we might see over the next 5 years. The question then gets down to which is the best chassis. That is a no brainer. The Cayman is clearly the best Porsche has to offer. If the marketing guys choose to keep it from beating the 997 then it's certainly a marketing decision, not a technical one. And from my standpoint, a very disappointing decision.
Jim

Quick Reply: Ran against a 986 Boxster S