Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How does one know if clutch needs replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2002, 04:28 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts
Post How does one know if clutch needs replacement?

My car has about 28k miles on it and wonder what signs to look for a failed clutch early on? Other then slippage(on occasion myabe like 2 times in last 6 months) is there a difference in pedal feel-what are you suppose to feel on the pedal if clutch needs replacement? Regards. Mike
Old 08-09-2002, 09:38 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They is a test but it's pretty abusive. The clutch stall test (3rd gear about 2450 RPM parking brake and brake firmly applied). The car should stall. This is the only real test of slippage I know of without removing the clutch for inspection. I don't recommend it unless your are really concerned - since it is so abusive.
Old 08-12-2002, 04:05 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There was another thread on clutch slip somewhere on rennlist just the other day. There appears to be a less abusive test for slip. Driving up hill 50 or 60 mph, just mash the gas to the floor. Slip is evidenced by rapid increase in rpm (you'll hear it), but no real gain in mph (kinda like the old '50s Buick Dynaflush worked when floored). Also the clutch disengagement point may gradually start moving to higher pedal as the clutch approaches its demise.
Old 08-12-2002, 05:16 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

About the only time which are few is if a friend would test drive my car not familiar with the clutch engagement would get into clutch slippage and boy what a great smell. And driving in the hills of San Francisco- just wondered what are the tell tale signs since it's not so great on the clutch. Car is 28k miles now so I imagine it's going to be soon. The longest a clutch lasted on me on any car has been 20K so not too bad with this clutch and I drive the heck out of it-had a BMW 325is an boy I could tell when it breaks- is the Porsche more subtle when it does break?. Thanks guys. Mike
Old 08-12-2002, 06:25 PM
tbr623
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Basically, the only way you'll know is when it starts to slip. Pedal feel is practically eliminated with a hydraulic slave cylinder as in the 996-its self adjusting. If you can feel any slip under heavy acceleration-don't wait! The more it slips the more heat is generated and that will certaintly destroy the flywheel.Driving technique had a direct relationship to clutch life. Hard drag race starts and careless downshifts kill a clutch.Learning to heel and toe and properly matching RPM while downshifting will be greatly appreciated by your drivetrain! With todays modern brake technology using the engine to slow the car isn't that necessary--and worst of all, we have all been with drivers that downshift and actually slow the car with the clutch.Over time this wears the clutch disc and causes heat damage that results in a "shuddering" sensation during clutch engagement. With proper technique one should expect 60 -70k miles from a clutch.
Old 08-12-2002, 07:42 PM
seggy
Instructor

hmm...I seem to have that "shuddering" when I start off from standstill. I've even stalled the car 3 times in the first week that I've had it. Right now my car is in the dealer for main bearing seal leak and they said they will take a look at the clutch to determine if it needs replacement.

Do you guys know what's a reasonable price for a clutch replacement if they recommend it?

This is a 2000 C2 w/ only 14k miles but I just got it used with 13k mi so I don't know how hard those 13k mi were driven at.
Old 08-13-2002, 10:43 AM
RogerJ
Instructor

If they are doing a main bearing seal then any speculation will end as they will have the clutch right in front of them. If you are getting clutch chatter and they have the car this far apart, it probably makes sense to put in a new clutch.
Old 08-13-2002, 01:54 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

I was quoted by the dealership at $565 for clutch kit not including labor when I got minor service done there. Regards. Mike
Old 08-13-2002, 03:47 PM
seggy
Instructor

Dealer (Carlsen) called back and says clutch looks like new so no need for replacement.

*phew*

Quick Reply: How does one know if clutch needs replacement?