996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anyone have the TrafficPro Navi?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 06:29 PM
Jim Lamb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone have the TrafficPro Navi?

I have an '03 C2 and every time I turn on the radio, a few seconds later there's a beep and a message on the display that says "NO TP". The user's guide says you can press the "TP" button to mute the radio. Can you install the Traffic Pro navigation system without replacing the head unit? Does it integrate with the main display in the dash? Anyone have it installed?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-04-2002, 07:56 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Traffic Pro is a NAV unit and it can replace the whole radio. You also need to add the GPS antenna.
A number of boarders here have installed TP on cars as old as 97 Boxster with no problem.

The TP button --
The US does not have pure traffic radio bands as Europe does.

From the (older) manual:
Traffic Program (TP)
The traffic program system offers the advantage that current traffic news can be received and heard despite the fact that Tape or CD are selected. For this purpose, it is essential that a traffic program transmitter is selected in the FM waveband and that the traffic program is activated.

Traffic program transmitter - display / select
If a traffic program transmitter is selected, the abbreviation T appears. Press the TP button and a station search will begin to locate the next station broadcasting the TP identifier. The transmitter can also be selected by transmitter search or by direct frequency entry.

Announcement standby - switch on/off
If the selected traffic program transmitter should interrupt the tape/CD operation for traffic announcements, the TP button must be pressed until the abbreviation TP is displayed. If traffic announcements are not desired, the TP button must be pressed until the abbreviation T appears.

Note: During the traffic announcement, the desired increase in volume can be set via the volume button. An announcement which is currently being heard can be terminated by pressing the TP button.
The unit then immediately switches back to the previously selected operating mode. However, the next traffic announcement is connected through again.
Old 11-04-2002, 08:52 PM
Back-n-Black
Instructor

I had a Traffic Pro installed in my 2001 C2 Cab about 1 month ago. As Loren mentioned it completely replaces the stock radio/CD or radio/tape head unit. Superficially it looks very similar to the CDR-22. The NAV CD is loaded in the head unit CD player slot and can be removed once your destination has been loaded. You don't need the NAV CD for destinations you've saved in the unit. The system has a variety of language options (US English, GB English, German and Spanish). The selected language will be used for both the display and voice prompts (I like the female Brit voice). The voice prompts will mute the music and increase in volume slightly (adjustable). As for the TP button it does mute the CD, however it the TP option is set to ON you'll get a pseudo traffic station here in the US, (not like the traffic info you get in Europe as Loren mentioned). If it is set to OFF it is just a mute function.

I got mine unit from Suncoast Porsche and the kit include the antenna and CDROMs.

I had the 6 CD changer also installed at the same time to complete the system.

I considered going with an Alpine 7" LCD motorized display and GPS but it required that just about all the audio would have to be replaced. I liked the stock look and the simplicity of the TrafficPro. Besides in a Cab I wouldn't get anything much out of a highend audio system; and it's about driving.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:31 PM
Jim Lamb
Instructor

Smile

Thanks for your replies. I did a search for Traffic Pro on the 996 board (which I should have done in the first place) and found some great information. I'm still not entirely clear on whether or not the unit leverages the information display in the dash at all - as in Audi vehicles - of if it's all on the head unit display. Can anyone clarify?
Old 11-05-2002, 02:30 AM
Back-n-Black
Instructor

Ok, Jim I understand what you're asking. Had a rental VW Passat W8 last Christmas in Germany. It had a TrafficPro setup as you mentioned. The visual cues were displayed both on the TP and on the center instrument cluster.

As far as I know there is no such display in the Porsche (atleast not in mine). I find the display on the unit is just fine. Mostly I look at it for turn information. It has some basic directional arrows and some variations like 45 degrees and some ziggy (left right/right left) indicators. Additionally for turn information there is a single vertical bar that get's smaller as you get closer to the turn. It's simple and informative, however all this information is also spoken so there is little reason to look at the display much. I find the TrafficPro to be quite accurate.

There was an article about the TrafficPro in Excellence a few months ago, (perhaps July 2002).
Old 11-05-2002, 03:01 AM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick Reply: Anyone have the TrafficPro Navi?