bra, anyone use one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 10:33 AM
Art_Z
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post bra, anyone use one?

on their car ?
I would like to avoid as much stone chip damage as possible, what are the pros and cons to these things? I searched the archive but didnt find much.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:16 AM
ToddG
AutoX

Put my Colgan bra on my '99 996 for the first time this weekend at a DE event. On the second run of the first day my engine overheating light came on although my engine temp was within spec. I removed the bra and had no more problems over the weekend. Good news: bra fit well and stayed on under high performance conditions. Bad news: don't know if the bra openings diverted the air just enough to irritate the sensor. Overall the Colgan product is moderately priced and should work fine under normal use.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:42 AM
Kerry
Addict
Rennlist Member

I never liked the looks of a bra so I had the 3M plastic film (StonGard, X-Pel, ClearBra) installed and have no regrets. The key is to find a very good installer.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:57 AM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts
I use the Speedlingerie for long road trips......it adds a bit of protection from flying tires, small animals, assorted junk,........and makes clean-up a bit easier when arriving at the destination.
Daily use, Xpel (one of 3m scotchcal products) is on there all the time.....would replace every 2-3 years (no downsides other than cost).....the other option is to just repaint the front w/that frequency.

Seriously, today's ABS plastic front bumpers are pretty darn tough & durable...you may need nothing....GreggT
Old 11-04-2002, 12:50 PM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I went Kerry's route and had the 3M "Scotchcal" put on the front bumper, lower hood, mirrors, base of fuel cap lid, and behind the wheels on flared rockers. Total cost about $600 and you can barely see it. I feel a lot more comfortable now. It's probably twice the cost of a bra, but I no longer worry when highway driving.

Installation pics:

More pics on pp 23 and 24 of website
<a href="http://www.986host.com/gallery/doncapecod" target="_blank">www.986host.com/gallery/doncapecod</a>
Old 11-04-2002, 01:33 PM
Art_Z
Drifting

Thanks again for all the feedback! I will prob look around locally to see who is a reputable installed of the 3M type product, i prefer its look to that of a bra (except on the missus!)

Art
Old 11-04-2002, 02:01 PM
wilam
Instructor

I thought about getting a bra but was advised by a number of people that dust and dirt gets underneath the bra and you end up scratching the paint that way!
Old 11-04-2002, 04:03 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts
I like it just the way it is. NAKED!!

IMHO, anything that goes on detracts from the natural beauty, and I don't like to give the impression of being over-protective. So far, no nicks or dings of any kind.
Old 11-04-2002, 04:43 PM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

I'm with Palting, the looks of a bra is just ridiculous. I guess its different here in Europe (I've never ever seen one here) and OK in the US.

I'd rather repaint the front every now and then than wear that thing anyway, whats next, seat covers for the leather?
Actually I just had the front repainted after 2 years (lots of high speed highway driving), no big deal and looks great.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:55 PM
ignacio
Burning Brakes

Red face

life is short! burn the friggin' bra! THE DAMN THINGS ARE UGLIER THAN SIN! naked is good!
Old 11-05-2002, 01:18 AM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Paulting, I hate bras as well. I think they do more damage than good and are a pain to maintain.

However, this 3M stuff is really great. Only time wil ltell, but I'd rather try and keep my paint original wherever possible! (Of course the turbo nose was a re-spray) but it was almost new when we re-sprayed it.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:02 AM
meiwah98
Rennlist Member

I heard speedline is definitely worth the money for the fit that you get.
Don't forget that ill fitting bras can cause more damage due to flapping and hitting your car at highway speeds. I believe I saw someone on funcarsonline that wanted to sell one cheap for an '00.
Check it out if interested.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:51 PM
ToddG
AutoX

Was at a DE event this weekend and saw an 02 996 with the 3M product. Good news: at the right angle it looks great...can't even tell it's there. Bad news: when rocks do hit it they leave accentuated marks because of the softness of the material and when the light hits it just right, it looks far worse than what you get with no protection. I was really surprised...surprised enough to reconsider purchase.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:02 PM
ToddG
AutoX

Was at a DE event this weekend and saw an 02 996 with the 3M product. Good news: at the right angle it looks great...can't even tell it's there. Bad news: when rocks do hit it they leave accentuated marks because of the softness of the material and when the light hits it just right, it looks far worse than what you get with no protection. I was really surprised...surprised enough to reconsider purchase.

Quick Reply: bra, anyone use one?