Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Is a "TMU" something shady?Is Complete Care warranty for this 996TT any good?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 12:55 AM
girthboy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a "TMU" something shady?Is Complete Care warranty for this 996TT any good?

I bargained down a dealer by phone on a 2001 996 TT tiptronic ( I dont want a stick) for a pretty good price of $62,400 and nearly 21k miles. It is white with a horrible colored red interior. But the price is good since I cannot afford to pay more.

The owner of the dealership told me they are selling it cheap because it was a
1 owner lease return and when they bought it , it was a TMU ( true mileage unknown). Yet, the leasing company signed an affidavid stating the actual mileage was indeed 21k and never was altered. Does this sound shady? The owner of the dealership seems totally legit and he even said I can take the car to any porsche dealer to do a PPI before I purchase it. But he said its in excellent shape. But the price seems too low and this TMU story he told me sounds weird.

He is also offering a comprehensive warranty from Complete Care for $3500 covering 4 years or 60k miles. Are they any good.

What is your opinion on all this ? THANKS!!!

ps. more info below

Last edited by girthboy; 11-15-2005 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:05 AM
nsx4pete
Instructor

stay away from tmu's. they are just as difficult to deal with in the future should you decide to sell the car for whatever reason.(like realizing it was a mistake) as a salvaged title vehicles. I know you dont want to hear this but the truth is, if your budget is ooonly 62k, then buy something 1 year older or a non turbo or something less extravagent but with more options,. There are sooooo many p-cars out there to pick and choose from, dont limit yourself to the ONE that will be a bitch later on to deal with. And regarding the affidavit about the 21k miles. If that was really the case, then why dont they have a new title reissued with the tmu removed. sounds too ****ty, sorry shady to rest with peace of mind at night. 62k is a lot of money, spend it on a flower not a weed. just my .02
Peter
Old 11-15-2005, 01:50 AM
girthboy
Advanced

I just remembered that the dealer also told me that the rear bumper pieces near the license was painted white to exactly match the exterior white color. ALSO, he said he just put on brand new tires on the car. If this only has 21k miles, isnt that odd?

I did not think a TMU is that serious though especially since the leasing company he bought the car from signed an affadavid.

Last edited by girthboy; 11-15-2005 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:00 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

If you're planning on keeping the car until the wheels fall off, then that's another story. If not, then think about the potential resale hassel down the road. If you're having these concerns as a prospective buyer now, then it shouldn't be too hard to expect the same from the others when you're on the other end of the transaction in the future. I would look elsewhere if I were you. I wouldn't put any weight on the affidavit from the leasing company either. All I know is that TMU label is slapped on for a reason, whatever it is. It may or may not have any bearing on the car's mechanical health, but for that much dough, I would want everything about the car fully accounted for.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:03 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by girthboy
I just remembered that the dealer also told me that the rear bumper was painted white to exactly match the exterior white color. I dont remember his exact words, but he said something about 2002 and 2003 turbos having a different color bumper or something. But this is a 2001. So I dont why he said that. ALSO, he said he just put on brand new tires on the car. If this only has 21k miles, isnt that odd?

I did not think a TMU is that serious though especially since the leasing company he bought the car from signed an affadavid.

RUN, don't walk, from this one.

Dealer is shady. New tires every 15-18k is common, depending on how driven. But the horsecrap about painting a non matching bumper is bogus. Too many stories. Get away.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 11-15-2005, 06:29 PM
girthboy
Advanced

He just told me by phone that it was bought on an auction where the dealer/leasing company forgot to write in the number of miles. Also, he said the carfax report shows 21k miles as well. But he said its a DMV headache to take the small checkmark TMU of the title. He said he would rather sell it cheaper and let the new owner do it if he/she feels the need to (he must of bought it cheap as well??). But wouldnt it be worth him dealing with the so-called headache to take that TMU of the title and then be able to sell it for 10k more??

Keep in mind , this is the owner I am talking to. He did not pressure me by phone or anything. He just said they must disclose the TMU by law and thats what he was doing. I checked their rating at BBB and they have an A+ rating with 1 complaint that was resolved. They have been in business since the 80's. What do you think? Its a 3 hour drive to actually go there.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:50 PM
nsx4pete
Instructor

youve already decided in your mind that you want this car because quite honestly, you feel that you are getting a turbo for a KILLER deal. You know, on a side note, I know a lot of honest dealers who would be willing to not put up with a few hours of headache at the dmv with the upside of blowing off thousands of dollars on a sale. There is a reason it is priced where it is. The guy just wants to off load, uhm excuse me, sell off his headache of a car to an unsuspecting p-car enthusiast who is being blinded by the rush and excitement of owning such a car rather than taking a step back and looking at it rationally. Forget this car, look elsewhere. Did i mention mine is for sale, a 99 c2 base model, no options, high mileage and a forum special price of just... wait can this be right, only 62 thousand dollars. What a steal. (JUST TEASING)
Peter
Old 11-15-2005, 09:17 PM
Lizard1
Racer

look at it this way. your wife finds her perfect 2004 BMW 3 series with TMU but fully loaded for $20K. Or she can spend an extra $5K and get the one with the prettier interior but not TMU. Which would you tell her to get?

From those looking outside in, it's a no brainer
Old 11-15-2005, 09:56 PM
girthboy
Advanced

So I guess you say to pass on it huh. Oh well. The thing is that I have been looking for nearly 10 months already. I need a tip with low miles and that's what makes it more difficult. I really dont want the "upgrade itch" later on and that's why I would rather spend more now than later and get the turbo I have wanted for a long time now.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:12 AM
Dwayne Williams
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you've waited 10 months - wait a little longer. The 996 turbo prices are doing nothing but dropping right now. It won't be too long until you can pick up a turbo in your budget without a bunch of stories and question marks attached to it. Porsches with histories can be VERY expensive to own and turbos even more so. Better to pay a little more now for one you can trust or wait a little longer until the prices drop a little more.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:43 AM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get it
Enjoy it.
Sounds like you've got 4 years or 60K miles of worry free fun on the way
Old 11-16-2005, 01:07 AM
girthboy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dwayne Williams
If you've waited 10 months - wait a little longer. The 996 turbo prices are doing nothing but dropping right now. It won't be too long until you can pick up a turbo in your budget without a bunch of stories and question marks attached to it. Porsches with histories can be VERY expensive to own and turbos even more so. Better to pay a little more now for one you can trust or wait a little longer until the prices drop a little more.
Thanks Dwayne for the support

Quick Reply: Is a "TMU" something shady?Is Complete Care warranty for this 996TT any good?