Sponsored by:

Best air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2001, 05:30 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts
Post Best air filter?

Hi there and good day!!! Just welcome ne comments on what is the best air filter to use ie k&n/bmc etc. Thank you and Happy Holidays!!!
Mike
'99 996 coupe
red/black
Old 12-14-2001, 06:24 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I suspect that the Porsche OE air filter is the "best" air filter for a Porsche. I'm using a K&N cone filter because it's supposed to be a little less restrictive, but I don't think it's the best air filter.

Stand by for other opinions.
Old 12-14-2001, 08:54 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by 996FLT6:
<STRONG>Hi there and good day!!! Just welcome ne comments on what is the best air filter to use ie k&n/bmc etc. Thank you and Happy Holidays!!!
Mike
'99 996 coupe
red/black</STRONG>
Hi Mike:

Determining which air filter is the "best" one is really framed by what criteria is being used to make any comparisons.

In terms of dirt and foreign matter entrapment, you simply cannot do any better than the Factory-supplied element. When these are new, they have more airflow capacity than the engine can use. Excellent product and very well executed!

The replacement flat-panel products, BMC and K&N are quite similar. They do offer the ability to be cleaned and reused and when compared to an OEM paper filter with 10K miles or more, these oiled gauze filters would flow more air.

I do not think they are as efficient at capturing dirt, dust and other foreign matter as the OEM paper filter and anyone living in a dusty environment would be well advised to use the OEM ones for longest engine life.

Not to state the obvious, but these 2 aftermarket filters MUST be oiled very evenly and carefully to work as designed whenever they are cleaned and with the proper, proprietary product. As an old off-road motorcycle racer for many years, I always grease the rubber edges for a better seal as I've seen some less-than-satisfactory QC issues with these things. Some of them do not fit well enough for me to use.

Hope this helps,

Quick Reply: Best air filter?