Sponsored by:

B&M shifter installed update : )!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2001, 06:58 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts
Post B&M shifter installed update : )!!

I want to thank everyone on this website for their advice on the shifter. Had it installed today and I am extremely happy to report its the best mod for the money. Not only are shifts precise(no misssing on shifts) but less throw as well. Though I was happy with the oem shifter, b&m is many times better!!!! My porsche mechanic who mainly works on 993 or older models was surprized how well the b&m worked since the only one he installed was on a boxster which says didnt work well at all. Thanks everyone!! Next step still waiting for my Fabspeed cold air flow unit-I'm stoked!!!
Mike
'99 996 coupe red/black
Old 12-02-2001, 05:56 AM
Cameron D
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep us posted on the Fabspeed install and the performance gains if any!!!!!
Old 12-13-2001, 09:21 PM
OrisChrono
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Mike,

I was also thinking of getting a B&M short shift. Is it something you can install on your own or is it complicated to the point where professional service is needed?

Thanks
Old 12-13-2001, 09:41 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts
After readeing the insructions I ended up having it professsionally installed. I ordered thru Performance products and though the B&M shifter came with very detailed step by step with pictures after reading the part about adjusting cable linkages I said no way. Unless u are very mechanically oriented which i am not. I can tell u a story about one guy who tried to install the shifter in his boxster and it ended up being towed to the porsche mechanic whom i used. Only way to judge is read the manual and see if u can deal with it. I was visualizing myself trying to install it myself and i saw myself getting it installed but still left with 5-8 parts sitting outside after completion : (. I can at least tell u that once u get it installed u be amazed how well it shifts. Use to have problem with misshifts but not nemore. U see at least a reduction of 25-30% on your throws. My mechanic says nething more like 40-50% reduction u will have trouble knowing where it shifts into. Hope u like it if u decide to get it. take care. mike

Quick Reply: B&M shifter installed update : )!!