Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Head Units

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2001, 11:07 PM
SICAONE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Aftermarket Head Units

I am changing my complete Porsche sound system. I have everything that I want to install except for a head unit. Can anybody recommend one that looks nice and sounds even better?
Old 11-30-2001, 08:10 AM
Graham
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by SICAONE:
<STRONG>I am changing my complete Porsche sound system. I have everything that I want to install except for a head unit. Can anybody recommend one that looks nice and sounds even better?</STRONG>
Well, it depends upon how much you want to spend ...

I just replaced my Porsche 'HiFi' setup and I used the Alpine 7878 MP3/CD head unit - this is also a satellite radio unit too - very cool. (Placing the antenna is a real problem in a cab though)

I also chose it because it fitted in well with my black interior - something to think about since so many units are really shiny/bright/tacky these days - had a hard time finding something that didn't have flashing displays & swimming dolphins on it etc. You need to consider this with your trim colour

For pure sound quality, Nakamichi are awesome. Almost any of the mainstream manufacturers have units that will give you the performance you need.

One thing that I did find important was that it can be difficult dialing the right cross-over settings in the car - the head unit has lots of configurability to tackle this - you might want to think about that for your installation too.

Hope this helps,

Graham
Old 11-30-2001, 01:49 PM
Bill Oliver
1st Gear

Graham,

Sounds great. Can you post pictures of your installation?
Old 11-30-2001, 07:16 PM
SICAONE
Racer

Thank you for your enlightenment. I am not fond of those flashy head units either. I am definitely going to look into your selections.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Head Units