Sponsored by:

Successful 996 chips / induction modifications

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 06:23 PM
Jean-Marc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Successful 996 chips / induction modifications

Has anyone done a successful chip or induction modification resulting in real world HP?
I was reading the latest 911 and Porsche World an saw an ad for something called the CDA, Carbon Dynamic Airbox that looked pretty interesting. Do you guys know anything about it?
What about chips? Is there anything to gain in a 996 that has GHL exhausts?
TIA
JM
Old 04-14-2003, 06:39 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

I installed Fabspeed headers, exhaust, and TRG Unichip on a 99 996 several years ago. Had the car dyno'ed before, during, and after. The exhaust showed a max HP improvement of around 8 HP, most of which was in the high rpms. No real improvement below 4K. The Unichip added another 10 HP, again at peak rpm.

So I got a gain of about 18 HP at peak. The difference on the track was minimal. I ran against other stock 996's and I didn't exactly pull them on the straights.

IMHO, the gain you may be able to get out of these bolt-on parts is probably less than the typical differences in engine power due to manufacturing variances. Not to mention that any changes to DME or induction can affect your emissions warranty.

Karl
Old 04-14-2003, 11:09 PM
Derrek Khajavi
Racer

We gain 30-40 HP at the wheels with our airbox upgrade, exhaust system, and EFI box. Total cost of the kit is around $2K.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:04 PM
slodrivingmike
Instructor

I got 35 hp from ghl exhaust and headers, cold air box, engine remapping and a noticeable difference on the track.
Old 04-16-2003, 03:55 AM
ruey220
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
derrek,

which company are you talking about?
I want to check out your products.

Thanks
Old 04-16-2003, 06:03 AM
Jean-Marc
Racer

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by slodrivingmike:
<strong>I got 35 hp from ghl exhaust and headers, cold air box, engine remapping and a noticeable difference on the track.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I have a GHL exhaust. What is a cold air box? What remapping did you do?
What is "noticeable"?
THX
JM
Old 04-16-2003, 06:20 PM
Derrek Khajavi
Racer

I am with Huntley Racing. The website is here: <a href="http://www.huntleyracing.com/" target="_blank">http://www.huntleyracing.com/</a> We are building a package price for the above items for release in the next few days. I will post a dyno chart here to for all to see.
Old 04-20-2003, 03:03 PM
slodrivingmike
Instructor

Jean-Marc,

I have a cold air intake. The remapping involved the rest of world program, which improves the torque curve. It can be reprogrammed in 5 minutes back to stock and then back to ROW again in 5 minutes. Noticeable is subjective, but I could feel the power increase in the seat of my pants. I believe I have the quickest normally aspirated 996 in south and central Florida driver education events. The only people who pass me these days are driving turbos, GT2's and dedicated race cars which probably weigh 7 or 800 pounds less than my 996. This may also be due in part to my improving as a driver. However, I notice that on straights, where driver ability is somewhat equalized, I can gain ground on most normally aspirated cars. I hope this answers your questions.
Regards,
slodrivingmike
Old 04-20-2003, 03:11 PM
Jean-Marc
Racer

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by slodrivingmike:
<strong>Jean-Marc,

I have a cold air intake. The remapping involved the rest of world program, which improves the torque curve. It can be reprogrammed in 5 minutes back to stock and then back to ROW again in 5 minutes. Noticeable is subjective, but I could feel the power increase in the seat of my pants. I believe I have the quickest normally aspirated 996 in south and central Florida driver education events. The only people who pass me these days are driving turbos, GT2's and dedicated race cars which probably weigh 7 or 800 pounds less than my 996. This may also be due in part to my improving as a driver. However, I notice that on straights, where driver ability is somewhat equalized, I can gain ground on most normally aspirated cars. I hope this answers your questions.
Regards,
slodrivingmike</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Thanks. Are you driving a 2002 or later or a '98-2001? What is the cold air intake that you have? Where did you get it? Who programmed your chip?
TIA
JM
Old 04-20-2003, 08:33 PM
slodrivingmike
Instructor

It's a 2001 and a 3.4 liter. I got everything from Foreign Affairs Motorsports. Talk to Bob or Bobby at (954)746-0488. I have no affiliation to them, but I do appreciate the great work they have done in building a wild ride!
Enjoy,
Mike
Old 04-21-2003, 04:05 AM
ruey220
Addict
Rennlist Member

the chip does wonders...before I thought my chip wasn't making that big of an improvement so I sold it along with most of the parts on my 996.

To give an example, I used to be able to eat Camaro SS's from 125-150MPH, now they walk me out like a dog on a chain with my car in stock, except for cold air intake.

I had a TRG chip with approx 340hp at the crank,
including headers, fabspeed exhaust, BMC filter.
Although I realized those mods did help plenty, I'm still seeking more power and waiting for a forced induction kit that will put me close to a 996 turbo.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:21 AM
Dima
Track Day

I will vouch for Derrek's comments on 30 to 40hp at the wheels. I had fabspeed exhaust, airbox, and unichip put on my '99 996 C2 by Huntley Racing and I am very satisfied with it. I can feel the power gain and have seen the dyno charts. The car also sounds really nice.
Old 04-23-2003, 08:14 AM
Jean-Marc
Racer

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Dima:
<strong>I will vouch for Derrek's comments on 30 to 40hp at the wheels. I had fabspeed exhaust, airbox, and unichip put on my '99 996 C2 by Huntley Racing and I am very satisfied with it. I can feel the power gain and have seen the dyno charts. The car also sounds really nice.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">30 to 40hp??? What have you guys done? Porsche want 12K for an X51 kit and you found twice what they did for a 3rd of that!!!
Have you guys checked dyno sheets or is this seat of the pants?
TIA
JM
Old 04-23-2003, 09:35 AM
Keyvan
Racer

The way I understand it that means 30-40HP at the wheel is gonna yeild about 50-60HP at the crank of the engine. That adds up to 370 to 380 HP at the engine which is the same power as a new GT3?

Even the Porsche X51 Kit gives 25HP at the crank not the wheel.

I have never performed any engine mods to my cars and never used a dyno so there are people here who know a lot more but these numbers just seem a little unrealistic.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:12 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

There is no way you are getting 30-40hp at the wheel.

I think you are wishfull thinking, since you have spent all that money, I think it is more like you "hope", or "wish" you have 30-40hp at the real wheel.

Dyno the car, and post the results. I think you will be suprised on how small the HP improvement is, if you did get one.

And don't just take the manufactureres word for it. Just b/c TRG or whoever says you will be making 20-40 hp doesnt mean you will. A lot of the times they will just do work on one car and dyno that one, and then tell u that you should expect the same results.

Tell them to guarantee, and I guarantee they will back off.

The reason I am saying all this, is b/c I know, I have experienced it. I had a chip installed in my car, headers, cats and exhaust all done in separate stages.

In my experience the free flowing cats, and the straight thru exhaust gives you the biggest yield, but Im not talking 40 hp, maybe 5- 10, maybe. Oh yeah the guys that did my car were also saying I was making 380hp at the rear wheel as well, but they are salesman, they want to tell the customer what he wants to hear.

After spending the money it gives you a sense of value, and you really didnt get anything, except for more of a lively sound.

All I am saying is dont get caught up in the BS of believing someone else BS. Believe it when you see the car dynoed, be savvy.

Quick Reply: Successful 996 chips / induction modifications