Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anybody find Fabspeed exhaust Raspy(more)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 05:16 AM
Huzurdd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Anybody find Fabspeed exhaust Raspy(more)

I just had Fabspped installed and the sound is very raspy. On idle the sound is very deep. But as soon as you get into the rpm band it turns to a nasty raspy sound. Due these things need to break in to get the Ferrari sound fabspeed claims on their web site?? Also my Factory $500 tips don't fit. The drivers side fits okay but not perfect. And the passenger looks like crap. Its off axis making it twisted about 45 deg. from where it should be. I installed the smaller factory tips to find no difference. Did I get a cursed set?? Maybe damaged in shipping?? or is this comon?? Please assist, I hope I didn't fork out some dough for exhaust and header for a nasty sound and crooked tips! Frustrated....
Old 11-21-2001, 10:49 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I have always considered Fabspeeds to have more of a throaty sound. Never considered it to sound like a Ferrari though (which is fine by me as I did not want a Ferrari).

The factory tips are difficult to line up correctly. The dealership that did the install for me lined up my tips pretty well.

Good luck.
Old 11-21-2001, 03:26 PM
Graham
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Huzurdd:
<STRONG>Due these things need to break in to get the Ferrari sound fabspeed claims on their web site?? Please assist, I hope I didn't fork out some dough for exhaust and header for a nasty sound and crooked tips! Frustrated....</STRONG>
The exhaust will never sound like a Ferrari ... I have the same setup as you and I came out of a couple of F355's to the Porsche and I can absolutely state that the sound is nothing like an F355 on full throttle - I can only surmise that the guys at FabSpeed have never been in a Ferrari at full throttle.

Now don't get me wrong, it does sound great, but it isn't a Ferrari sound and I think that's actually good too. A Porsche should be a Porsche.

As regards the raspy sound, yes that's about right. It's a deep idle with rasp/rumble type of sound on throttle. It doesn't sound like a hair-dryer anymore though.

Graham
Old 11-22-2001, 02:30 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts
Raspy is the true sound of a flat six motor. The factory sport muffler is REALLY raspy .I was never been happy with factory big oval tips on my 996 exhaust - too many swivel planes to get them even side - to- side in the fascia opening, level side to side and horizontal with the oval. Solved the problem with Roock's beautiful jewel-like round tips .

Quick Reply: Anybody find Fabspeed exhaust Raspy(more)