Need Feedback On This 996 On EBay

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 03:09 AM
Long Duck Dong
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Feedback On This 996 On EBay

99 Cabriolet C2 On E-Bay

So I have been looking and looking for a clean Cabriolet. Amazingly the ones I seem the most interested in are on the other part of the country. Lots of FL and TX cars that seem reasonably priced. I watched this 99 Cab a few weeks ago on Ebay, It wound up selling for $29K, but its back up on Ebay, seller said the guy that won the auction flaked. Anyway it looks like it has a few issues, paintwork (I need to verify what and why it was painted) and a odometer that was inop for a while. Neither bother me too much. Does this seem like a heck of a deal fo around $29K? I sure think so. Hoping to hear if my C2 is sold tomorrow, it would be pretty good timing.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:38 AM
bobporsche996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sure does look like a great deal for $29k.. almost too good to be true for a cab... considering the condition and the cab factor, upgrades, wheels, color, etc.. very desirable combination of everything..
Old 11-07-2005, 08:27 AM
Jim in Southlake TX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look closely at the gap around the hood. The photo looks to me like the car was in an accident, and not repaired correctly.

Good luck.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:49 AM
caf
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim in Southlake TX
Look closely at the gap around the hood. The photo looks to me like the car was in an accident, and not repaired correctly.

Good luck.
I agree with Jim; the hood and front bumper cover are askew. What does it mean in the service history "vehicle body serviced"? Does that mean repairs or they just washed it or something?
Old 11-07-2005, 08:59 AM
munro86
Racer

Take Bob's advice.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:18 AM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like it had a front end collision, with cooling system repair and body service on same date, and the hood/bumper in need of adjustment.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:25 AM
jdk1
Instructor

Nice car! It sure does look like a good deal for $29K. However, I agree with the previous posters about the gap in the hood.

See if the dealer will have an authorized dealer do a pre-purchase inspection - even if you have to pay. I had one done on mine and the $149 I spent makes me feel a lot better about the deal and sleep a lot better at nght.

Good luck!
Old 11-07-2005, 12:18 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry, but that car does NOT look like it was taken care of.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:25 PM
Long Duck Dong
Instructor

I never even noticed the front bumper cover being askew....Good eye you guys have! Just sucks the thing is on the other side of the country, $29K is a ton of money to me and I hate to buy something without seeing it in person. I am VERY reluctant to ever buy a vehicle off of Ebay, seems like a lot of "problem-cars" get sold on there, however I am sure some good ones pass through there too. I sent an e-mail to the guy that didn't complete the first auction to see why he didn't go through with the auction. More than likely he was a schill bidder I bet. I need someone down in Pompano Beach FL to go look at this car.

Old Ebay Auction
Original Ebay Auciotn for 99 Cab
Old 11-07-2005, 12:30 PM
Long Duck Dong
Instructor

Originally Posted by LVDell
Sorry, but that car does NOT look like it was taken care of.
The exterior looks good from the pictures, but I was wondering the same thing when I saw the interior pics. Sometimes the pictures can be deceiving, but te back seat of that car looks like the side panels are pretty scratched up.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:31 PM
pl
Drifting

call the porshce dealer near the seller.
tell them you want to do PPI on that car, and gave them vin#, they can tell you a lot about the car's history.
from my shopping exp., cheap things have reasons. buy it or not, it's U decision. as myself is debetting hard about a C2 Cab, the seller is 1000 mile from me.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:12 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The air freshener is the scariest thing.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:55 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

if $29,000 is something you can barely afford, you might want to reconsider your purchase.. you are buying a 7 year old+ porsche with 65,000+ miles and a repaint from an accident.. this guy is also unloading it with "no reserve", which is odd.. i don't quite understand why he doesn't just give it to a used car lot or for consignment if he's in such a rush to sell it? i'm sure many lots would pay $30k any day for a good condition cab... something is up... i'd stay away...

you have to ask yourself, can I afford a $8000 to $15,000 potential malfunction (engine, tranny, or a multitude of things..) over the next few years? nobody will warranty a 99 anymore with that mileage.. so it's something you consider, if $29k is stretching it for you.. i learned the hard way..
Old 11-07-2005, 04:33 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Originally Posted by Long Duck Dong
[IMG]$29K is a ton of money to me and I hate to buy something without seeing it in person.

I echo Bob - don't buy a 996 if the upfront cost is a ton of money to you

The key thing about Porsche ownership is the cost of running the car - not neccessarily the upfront cost or car payment

If you get this car and there are issues you cannot afford to fix and need to off load it, you may be forced to sell the car with little or no equity in it (or god forbid, upside down on it)

just a couple of months ago I ran over something on the interstate, completely unexpected obviously. Total cost of this escapade was $1,200 - just an example of what can come out of the blue and bitch slap you.

If I were you I would go out and buy a new and better condition boxster for $25k (lower running costs) and in three years upgrade to a 911 when (if) your finances have improved. This is what I did, and while conservative in terms of upgrading, it has made me appreciate my 911 even more and helped me build wealth in other areas

- although if you are used to 964/993 repair bills then you may well be fine

Last edited by P-Car fanatic; 11-07-2005 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:11 PM
Long Duck Dong
Instructor

My financial situation isn't the issue. I am paying cash for whatever car I buy and while I don't want to have to spend $8-15K in future repairs I could afford to if need be. Maybe I didn't word it right, but essentially I was saying I am not so independently wealthy that I consider $30K "chump change". My goal is to make sure whatever I spend my money on is a good solid car so I hopefully won't have those large repair bills, I realize the cost associated with normal maintenance though.

Anyway, given the location and questionable history of this car, I think I am going to pass on it. However if someone lives in Florida, this may be a heck of a deal if you can go see it in person, I'd just lvoe for someone to look at it so I would know the deal on it.

Boxster is totally out of the question for me. I am not going to start a war on this one, but I'll just say a Boxster isn't my personal style.

Quick Reply: Need Feedback On This 996 On EBay