Sponsored by:

Rear end Spin out question

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 01:32 PM
skipp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end Spin out question

Being new to 911s, I have a question about safety. In the past I know the older cars were prone to having the rear end come around if you let up on the gas in a hard turn. Is this characteristic gone in the 996 or not. The car I just bought doesn't have the PSM system on it, so I need to know whether I should have it installed or not. I've read about a lot of people being hurt by this characteristic of the older cars and don't want to end up like them. Any input is appreciated.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:44 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

As far as i'm conscerned, the 996 is pretty tame. I've lost it a couple of times at the track..but that was because i was pushing too hard in the rain and mising the line. Throttle lift oversteer i find to be pretty managable in these cars but that's my personal opinion.

can you even install PSM after the fact?
Old 11-04-2005, 01:48 PM
BSG03Cab
Addict
Rennlist Member

PSM can not be retrofitted to the 996. I find, as stated in prior post, that the rear will only come around if you take the wrong line and WAY too much speed into a corner on the track.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:07 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

it may not be as bad as the previous 911's but I think it will certainly flip ends if you lift.....at least with my PSM vehicle on my first day on the track last year, PSM was indeed "Please Save Me".....I was lifting and for sure the rear end came loose everytime, but the PSM prevented a spin. so, without it I think it will swap ends. A few months ago with the pedal to the metal through a ramp I lifted as i saw a truck on the right most lane, but by then I was quite comfartable with getting back on the gas and recovering so was not a problem...but for sure these cars can get loose in the rear if you lift.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:10 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

just don't shift from 3rd to 1st (whoops) and accelerate at the same time and you will be fine.. (i learned the hard way, but got a new front bumper )
Old 11-04-2005, 02:12 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To your question, yes, the 911 will swap ends if you lift mid-turn...
Old 11-04-2005, 02:48 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by bobporsche996
just don't shift from 3rd to 1st (whoops) and accelerate at the same time and you will be fine.. (i learned the hard way, but got a new front bumper )
Shift into 1st - what was the story there. I would have to be going damn slow to down shift into 1st.

On another note: I was going 10-15 km/h did sharp hard turn in 1st gear, while accelerating and ended up doing a 360 donut. Took me unware and scared the **** out of me lucky it was in an empty parking lot.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:01 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

As long as the engine is in the rear, you cannot lift. You will get better grip with the accelerator. Go to a DE event and practice on a skidpad. You will learn EXACTLY what the car does in certain situations. Then hit the track and practice what you learned.

Go into a corner fast and lifting will get you into a lot of trouble! Remember, slow in, FAST out.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:01 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Take the car on the track and explore the limits in a safer environment. The 996 is not nearly as wicked as the short wheel base early 911 or even the longer wheel based cars of the 70's and 80's. Even normal street driving speeds could be a handful for the unknowning driver. Each generation of the 911 gets better at off throttle oversteer. In the 996 it is essentially a none event under public road speeds. That said a hard application of the brakes in mid turn at higer speeds can definitely unsettle the car. Slick conditions dramatically change things. This is why a DE is usually recommended even if you never plan to "track" the car. It just gives you an idea what the car will and will not do.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:03 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Skip, the 996's handling has been tamed by Porsche. The suspension has nothing in common with the early torsion bar cars. Porsche has purposefully designed the car to understeer so don't fear while driving at reasonable speeds under normal driving conditions. Yes, you can get the rear end to come out. As previously posted, on the track/autocross and on slippery surfaces you can get the rear end to come around by lifting off the gas in the corner. This can be used to point the nose of your car toward the direction you intend to drive out of the corner. You've got to be driving aggressively because if step the speed down a notch the car just slows down in the corner. You can also get the car to oversteer by coming on the gas too early in a corner, but this is not unique to the 996 platform. Any RWD car with enough horse power can do this. The 996 comes out of corners under power very well compared to other cars.

You need to put some miles on your car. It will not bite you. You can drive it in the snow and the rain with the right tires.

Start autocrossing. This will teach you how your car behaves under extreme conditions without hurting you or your car.

Have fun.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:15 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Eric

Makes a very good point. Autocrossing will definitely teach you about the handling dynamics of your car under a very safe environment. You can even treat some of the sessions as a learning experience trying to do things to upset the car to see how it reacts.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:24 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My suspension is not stock, but the suspension has been tamed (and improved) in these cars so much that it is sometimes difficult to get the rear end to come around even if you are trying to do so. Can you make a mistake and swap ends? Sure, as you can in all cars. Is the 996 any more "unstable" than any other car? I seriously doubt it.

Learn to drive your car, and start by crawling before you try to run. If you are smart about this, you will soon view the fact that your car does not have PSM to be a potential advantage.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:47 PM
ZBlue996Kam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with TD that it is difficult to get the rear end to come around in a 996.

I was driving BobT's 993 in a parking lot this past winter and I unintentionally got the tail to come around big time. That was kind of fun.

Darren saw that and hopped into his 996 with BobT trying to do the same. All he got was big push instead of getting the tail to come around.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:25 PM
skipp
Instructor

Thanks to all your advice. I'm not scared of the car, I just have a healthy dose of respect for the issue we've been discussing after reading articles for the last 20 years and now finally having a car of my own.

I'm planning to go to DE soon and learn. Right now I have balding tires. Would this be a good opportunity to play in a large parking lot to experience the break away before getting new tires?
Old 11-04-2005, 04:27 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

You'll actually have better grip with the balding tires. Just take a look at some of the tires guys use for track that have max grip (MPSC) and then get then shaved as well!

Quick Reply: Rear end Spin out question