Sponsored by:

help my car suffered error cascade and overheated

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 04:54 AM
brannonspillars
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy help my car suffered error cascade and overheated

This is my first post ever, sorry to trouble everyone with a problem.

I am the original owner of a 2004 carrera C2 with 26,000 miles, until now all trouble-free miles. All maintenance has been by the book. The car runs great, I love it more now than when I first drove it off the lot.

I was driving on the freeway tonight when first an error message came up on the computer saying my battery/alternator failed. Immediately I noticed the steering became stiffer, as if the power steering pump stopped working. I kept driving about 2-3 minutes at 75, and then the second error message came up saying the engine was overheating. I cut the power immediately and coasted to a stop on the shoulder. When it cooled down I started it back up, which it did without any problems, and drove to the dealership where the car is now.

While driving with a hot engine the timing seemed off, the car idled like an old lawnmower engine (rough), and didn't seem to have full power. Seems like it went into some sort of a fail-safe mode. After several starts and stops with engine overtemp warnings, I finally coasted to the dealership. Mostly I coasted with power off due to the overtemp situation - - i didn't want to damage my engine, and hope like hell the few seconds it ran overheated didn't damage it.

My thoughts are that maybe the alternator failed, and that the cooling system is electrically dependent i.e. electric water pump? The power steering pump may be similarly dependent on the electrical system? Without an alternator working properly the computer went into some fail-safe mode where the timing was off and the engine didn't have full power? Seems bizarre to have this sort of cascading failure unless it is all tied together by one initiating event.

Any thoughts appreciated.

When I find the ultimate cause I will post for others to read, if interested.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:36 AM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I am curious to know the cause when you find out
Old 11-04-2005, 09:43 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Serpentine Belt broke.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:45 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing is for sure, next time when you pull over, call for a flat bed and don't re-start the car.

Having said that, the computer has a limp mode and that is what it sounds like it did, not to worry.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:15 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Did you open the rear end to look inside? It sure sounds like you broke that Serpentine Belt.

Let us know!
Old 11-04-2005, 02:56 PM
brannonspillars
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The serpentine belt tensioner pully failed due to metal fatigue, causing the alternator and power steering to fail; I didn't notice it but it must have been simultaneous rather than a few seconds apart. The serpentine belt was ok, but they replaced it for free anyway. All fixed under warranty, runs like always now.

Thanks all!

-Brannon
Old 11-04-2005, 04:12 PM
88911coupe
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice to see another Tulsan here. You should drop by Wild Fork in Utica Square on Saturdays around 8 am for breakfast. It's a standing meet and some good people. Nice cross section of older cars and very late cars, along with an occasional Italian.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:42 PM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Serpentine Belt broke.
Originally Posted by brannonspillars
The serpentine belt tensioner pully failed due to metal fatigue..
Nice call

Quick Reply: help my car suffered error cascade and overheated