Sponsored by:

996 Options and their weight

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 02:53 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Default 996 Options and their weight

This might sound funny but how much weight do options such as full leather interior, plush full leather seats, heated mirrors ect add to the weight of a 996.

I've been shoppoing and I'd really like to find a car with as few options as possible...for me that's just the way I feel a sports car should come...and I'll leave the frills for the M3. BUT seeing as though the masses who buy this car are looking for all of these options it's difficult to find one that's optioned the way I want it.

So...how much does all of this weigh. I know each piece is probably incrimentally small but it's got to all add up in the end. Esp looking for the weight difference between the manual sport seats (with only the recline function being power) and the full power with memory luxury seats.

Andy
Old 10-28-2005, 02:59 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, thinks like heated mirrors are not going weigh that much. Taking out the spare and putting in a Fabspeed exhasust, will take that weight away. The seat can be removed and replaced with GT3 seats. They weigh a fraction of the stock seats and give you that authentic sports car feel. Now, if you really go nuts, you can start pulling insulation,WINDOWs for Plexiglass and adding CF parts.

I just pulled my passenger seat and replaced with a GT3 seat. I never weighed the seats, but based on the strain on my back, its significant.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:00 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Andy,

I think its a GREAT question. I wonder the same thing myself. I think it would be a great resource if we could determine the weight added by each option.

TD
Old 10-28-2005, 03:10 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Yeah. There's a sticky over on the M3 forum that lists most of the options and their weight that's a great resource...although the M3 is a heavy weight pig compared to a 996 so I suppose that list has it's place. Wasn't sure if such a thread or list existed over here. while I'm not trying to make a race car with no carpet, insulation, lexan windows ect I'd like get a car as light as possible to start with. In reality there's alot of other ways for me to spend $3000+ on a 996 that will yield more benefit than GT3 seats right off the bat which is why I'd love to find the manual sport seats if at all possible.

Heck I even thought about GT3 seats for the M3...but every time it comes to mind I find a better way to spend the money.

Andy
Old 10-28-2005, 03:20 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the GT3 seats are a must have especially if you intend to track the car. Keep your eye out you can find great deals. Cloth GT3 seats can sometimes be picked up for a great price. $(1200 ) The GT3 seats are near the top of my top 5 list of my favorite mods. You can save 55Lbs or so in the rear by swapping out the mufflers with bypass pipes. I would also recommend the SSK as a first mod too. I like mods you can enjoy every time you drive the car. As for the weight of options most will mot weigh as much as the two ideas shared here, GT3 seats and eliminating the mufflers. most of the options replace something that is allready in the car i.e. Carbon fiber e-brake you still have an ebrake and the CF does not add that much. I can't imagine all of the hides of leather weighing more then 10Lbs or so over the vinyl.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:23 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

you paid $1200 for the pair or each?
Old 10-28-2005, 03:28 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pair.... At the end of the day I have about $1500 into them with the re-painted backs and shipping. You just have to keep your eyes open and buy when the opportunity comes up. That is how I buy most of my mods I buy when I find a great deal. I actually wanted leather but the cloth came up and I grabbed them. Now that I have them I kind of like the feel of the cloth.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:33 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cloth is better for the track . . .
Old 10-28-2005, 03:37 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Originally Posted by SANDOVAL
Pair.... At the end of the day I have about $1500 into them with the re-painted backs and shipping. You just have to keep your eyes open and buy when the opportunity comes up. That is how I buy most of my mods I buy when I find a great deal. I actually wanted leather but the cloth came up and I grabbed them. Now that I have them I kind of like the feel of the cloth.

Ha...We need to hang out sometime...I'm the king of "gently used" parts...every mod on my M3 besides brakes and software was purchased used.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:17 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

The full power seats are 59lbs each; 60lbs with lumbar. The base power-recline-only seats are 44lbs each. The GT3 leather are 29 lbs each. I have a set of "gently used" base power-recline-only seats (grey) in the classifieds--negotiable circa $500/pair. I got the GT3 seats hearing these claims of 60 lbs savings, but was disappointed in my savings (only about 1/2 that) since I didin't realize all the power/memory/heat/lumbar porks the factory seats up to 60lbs EACH. Those measurements are apples-to-apples with brackets/sliders.

Another boarder posted a change to CF hood saved 10 or 11 lbs. The advertised weight savings claims of exhaust manufacturers are grossly exaggerated. Claims of 26 lbs savings were a joke. I've personally weighed 2 aftermarket and stock mufflers on a Boxster S, and the weight savings was only 2 lbs. Another boarder saved some very healthy weight (44lbs) by going to an ultra small/lightweight battery which may not be the best for those in cold climates. Also, ditch the spare tire, jack, tools, etc. (except tow hook), and you'll save 30 lbs. Finally, I gotta imagine all those extra amplifiers and speakers/nav gotta have some weight. My Litronics were surprisingly heavy. I'm sorry I didn't weight them vs base.

I'd recommend my base seats for $500 before I lost the stereo and air conditioning Take out the spare, and that's a relatively painless 60 lbs.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:30 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Great post...exactly the type of information that I was looking for. Got to find a car first.

I too feel that everything like nav, heated mirrors, leather covered everything, ect has got to add up in the long run...how much???...tough to say.

Andy
Old 10-28-2005, 04:38 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 99 that was special ordered with option deletes. It has no sunroof, heated seats, or trip computer. It does have a 99 Euro GT3 body kit, which was installed by the dealer new, but no front radiator. It does have standard headlights, simple seats, 18 inch Champion wheels, a very basic radio, spare tire, and AC.

Ub
Old 10-28-2005, 05:01 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by UberXY
It does have standard headlights, simple seats, 18 inch Champion wheels, a very basic radio, spare tire, and AC.
Ub
Smart setup! I have the 18" Champion RG5s as well. Love 'em. Still more total weight than 17" stock, but not by much and much bigger rubber now (205/255 -> 235/285).
Old 10-28-2005, 06:41 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done some ehem weight loss. 99 996 c2. Arguably THE lightest 996 period. gt3 seats 14" stoptechs - lighter than stockers, removed back seat and spare, gemballa mufflers, B&B headers- both lighter, 5 spokes from twists - huge difference. Pss9's and gt3 bars- prob. the same, I have no leather or speakers in the doors. All around other than the sunroof sub/rollbar/and amp the car is as light as I want right now.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:32 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Interesting food for thought here.

Andy

Quick Reply: 996 Options and their weight