Need advice.... Car stalled while idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 02:14 PM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice.... Car stalled while idle

Hey guys...

Looking for some technical advice about what happened this morning. Last night, I parked my car on the street in 40-50 degree weather (she usually sleeps in a heated garage). I wake up this morning and start her up. I was late for a meeting, so I let her warm up for about 3-5 minutes and then drove off to work. The temp was at the far left of the 180. When I was stopped at a light, my rpms were fluctuating (the temp was still to the left of the 180 mark).

It began to fluctuate so much that it made the car stall. I started her up again and as the engine warmed up (temp near 180), the rpm fluctuation was nearly gone (at very low levels). Now my question is, was it because I didn't let my engine warm up enough that it stalled? Or do I have a bigger issue I should investigate? I'm kind of worried...

Btw, the CEL has been for the last couple of weeks.. I assume it is the MAF code again (I had the MAF code come up before I cleaned it out-- and since then there has been no CEL), but I need to take her in anyways for a reading.

Thanks for anyone's help...
Old 10-28-2005, 02:54 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

MAF, o2 sensor, when you get a CEL, the system goes into a limp mode. If you go to a dealer you may have a problem with the chip/airbox/headers etc, as far as warranty goes.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:34 PM
vette67
Instructor

You can reset your own CEL with an aftermarket diag tool. $100-200.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:55 PM
ebaker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably fouled the spark plugs. They run very rich when cold. I think letting the car sit and idle when first started increases the chance of fouling the plugs. My car seems to run excessively rich when it's slightly cold. The manual recommends driving off slowly after a short warm up, rather than sitting and idling.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:28 PM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

Chris: Thanks. My car is not covered under warranty from Porsche, but I do have a third-party warranty I will check into. I may make a run to RPM if I have the time this weekend.

Vette: I really should pick up one... Any suggestions?

ebaker: Thanks for the advice, I didn't know about that. It was running excessively rich...

Quick Reply: Need advice.... Car stalled while idle