Sponsored by:

Need some help regarding panel gaps

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 02:22 PM
vette67
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kim,

Don't want to hijack the thread but curious. Is that the 911 Buyers Guide written by Randy Leffingwell?

Jeff
Old 10-28-2005, 06:48 PM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kims996Cab
In the meantime, what ATL area body shop are you using for this repair?
thanks,
Kim,
The owner of the shop has gotten involved with my car's repairs, and has apologized for the condition in which my car was presented to me. He is delivering the car to my home this evening and has asked that I call him this weekend and tell him what I think of the repair after his corrections today. I want to check out the remedial work before saying anything more about the shop. I will say that the owner has stepped up and taken responsibility and shown a distinct intention to get me happy. I'll update you tomorrow.

Jeff,
Just might see you at RA Sunday!
Old 10-29-2005, 10:34 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vette67
Kim,

Don't want to hijack the thread but curious. Is that the 911 Buyers Guide written by Randy Leffingwell?

Jeff
No, this is not that book .... it is (as far as I know) available only as a PDF file downloaded from the author's web site, and is called "911 Secrets Revealed". Author is Adrian Crawford.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:36 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Typically, panel gaps are 4mm, or at least they were on the older air cooled cars. Those are excessive. Sounds as though the body shop does care and will make it right. More than I can say for some horrid reports of other body shops..

Post pics once complete. Beautiful color BTW..
Old 10-30-2005, 08:20 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Kenvin,
I'll bet from the looks of the damage that the right rail was kinked.( you can see how it looks by looking under the trunk liner)
Before the panels ,the frame has to be pulled with laser acuracy to factory specs. Then everything goes back together with factory gaps. Might be it wasn't done right on the frame machine. a proper repair looks like it came from factory., and is as good.
Did the air bag deploy??
Elliot
Old 10-30-2005, 08:29 PM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Elliot,
No, none of the airbags deployed, but the roll bars did. The body shop has successfully adjusted the gaps and the car looks great. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Need some help regarding panel gaps