996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Tire Opinions- Potenza RE750's vs. Eagle F1 GS-D3"s

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 11:14 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had F1 GS-D3’s on my car since April. I have put approximately 8k miles on the tires in daily driving and out of town trip driving situations. Over all I think these are great daily driver tires. Especially if driving in the rain is a factor.

I can not comment on ultimate dry grip as I have not had them on the track. There are some logical arguments that the tire may not offer the best ultimate grip because of the amount of rubber in contact with the surface in the contact patch because of the aggressive tread design….maybe so. However, in daily driving and aggressive street driving situations I have never thought I wanted or needed more grip.
In the wet the tires are in a word excellent. The grip is fantastic in the wet with rock solid stability which has caused me to completely forget what hydroplaning is or feels like.

I don’t find the ride any harsher than any other summer only tire. Wear characteristics have been fantastic. The previous Continental SportContacts wore out very quickly with the rears being completely shot after 8k miles. At this point I see the F1’s making it too the 16k+ mark before the rears will need replaced. Road noise is good not great. I have found the tires to produce a rather noticeable hum/whine/roar on certain concrete road surfaces (not all concrete surfaces though). In general they are average for a summer high performance tire for noise because on certain concrete surfaces they definitely produce noise and have done this since day one. There are certain sections of the roads I drive I notice them…and I did not notice the noise on the Continentals (this the only good thing I can say about the Continentals).. I find the F1's very stable at all the speeds I have driven them and they don’t exhibit any more or less tendency to tramline than any other high performance tire. I think the combination of wear and wet weather traction make them an excellent tire for daily and trip driving duties.

Last edited by bet; 10-25-2005 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:15 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bet
Road noise is good not great. I have found the tires to produce a rather noticeable hum/whine/roar on certain concrete road surfaces (not all concrete surfaces though). In general they are average for a summer high performance tire for noise because on certain concrete surfaces they definitely produce noise and have done this since day one. There are certain sections of the roads I drive I notice them…and I did not notice the noise on the Continentals (this the only good thing I can say about the Continentals).
If I remember correctly, a similar post by you in a much older thread played a part in my decision.

I agree that the road noise grade would be "good" as opposed to "great" ... but these tires had the advantage of my comparing them (in actual experience) only to their cheap predecessors. Supporting your observation, in Consumer Reports, only the Conti scored better for noise among ultra high performace tires.

I also have experienced the increase in noise on certain concrete surfaces. The difference when then transitioning back to asphalt interstate is dramatic.

As for prospective mileage, I have so far accumulated approx 5K, with no noticeable wear at all ... all street and highway driving.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:38 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kims996Cab
As for prospective mileage, I have so far accumulated approx 5K, with no noticeable wear at all ... all street and highway driving.
I really don't have any appreciable wear either (actually it amazes me). By far these tires have shown the best wear characteristics of any high performance tire I have used. However, I have to admit that I am just waiting for a point for the tire wear to increase dramatically and that is why I indicated a conservative 16k wear limit. If the wear rate during the first 8k miles is linear I would say they are easily a 25k+ mile tire but I just can't see that (or just have a hard time comprehending it) as I have never had a tire last longer than 15k on any Porsche I have owned.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:46 PM
snaproll
Instructor

Is your car in warranty? I had the N-tire discussion with the service writer (whom I trust) at my dealership and he said that mounting a non N tire could lead to a warranty issue from Porsche if the car experienced a failure that could be attributed to the tire. Just something to consider if it applies in your case. The service guy also said the dealership's experience with non N tires had been some were fine, others didn't seem to handle as well so they wouldn't install a non N tire.

The dealer also wouldn't install a RoW sport suspension owing to a lack of DOT approval, so perhaps they're erring on the side of caution...............
Old 10-26-2005, 01:27 AM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ckl93
I'm running S-03's on my car and I'm loving them. I don't think they're N-rated either.
Not to be disrespectful of any fine members here, but my N-rated ContiSports were by far the worst tire I've had in almost every category. I was also not overly impressed with my N-rated PZero Assims. I would rate them comparable in grip to my RE750s but obviously inferior in price/wear/ride. The RE750s are a very new compound and surprised me by being about 97% of my S-03s for a lot less $ and a lot more mileage. I was very impressed. I also have Dunlop R-compounds which offer fanstastic grip on the street, but stiff, a little noisy, and a treadwear rating of 60. From my experience, of the 5 tires I've run, "overall", the N-rateds were the worst. Go for the RE750s if mileage/value is a concern!
Old 10-26-2005, 09:12 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Arenared,

Here here on your comment about the Contisports. They have come stock on my last two Porsches and they are by far the worst tire I have ever used. Bar none. They sound awful, stick less well than a round pad of butter, and have a pretty ugly tread to boot. All of the other premium tires that I have used in the past (BF Goodrich Comp T/A KRad, Bridgestone S-03 PP, Dunlop SP Sport 800 and D40 M2) have all been better. And to add fuel to the fire, the Michelin Pilots weren't such great shakes either.

Frankly, I haven't tried the RE750s so I cna't comment, but I AM ANXIOUS to give these new Goodyears a shot. Yes, they may not be a track effort, but damn that tread looks super efficient.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:11 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will disrespect some members here. N tire rating is overrated. Look there is no such thing as a N rated DOT track tire and thoes tire will out handle any N rated tire. I'm not saying that a N tire is not a great tire and most of them like the Pilot Sport is probably better the F1 in handling. The point is that a non N tire is not going to harm your car. Some people are just too **** about the rating. IMO as long as you're buying a tire from a major manufacture like Goodyear or Bridgestone (Pepboys ) you are gonna have a fine tire. Sure if you're tracking the car get the best grip available or if you just like OE tires then get them. A good tire like the S03, F1, or RE750 will do fine. FWIW I have not used RE750, but have used the F1 on another car and compared with the S03 its a better tire for daily driving. I think the F1 is quiter and nicer riding then the S03. I do think the S03 has good grip as I used them on my old 911 doing some DE runs.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:07 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

jetskied,

the F1 you are referring to is the Eagle F1 and *not* the F1-GSD3 correct?
Old 10-28-2005, 02:16 AM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

no the GSD3. FWIW the F1 Supercar on the Corvettes I driven are noiser then the GSD3.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:41 AM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Car and Driver Dec 2005 has a test of 11 max performance tires tested on a BMW 3 series and the winner was the GSD3. I'm not saying it is the best tire, but it for sure is not an inferior tire to use on a Porsche unlike like some who thinks its junk just because its not N rated.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:08 AM
UNC Nick
Instructor

I ended up going with the RE750's. Pretty happy so far, but it's only been a couple days. Will post some more opinions after putting a few miles on them. Can't beat the Tirerack price, though, for a daily driver with supposed solid performance and decent treadlife. We'll see...
Old 10-30-2005, 11:25 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jetskied
Car and Driver Dec 2005 has a test of 11 max performance tires tested on a BMW 3 series and the winner was the GSD3. I'm not saying it is the best tire, but it for sure is not an inferior tire to use on a Porsche unlike like some who thinks its junk just because its not N rated.

that's surprising... what issue of C& D was that.... GSD3 has a very weak sidewall so I don't know how your steering response would be... was Toyo T1-R part of the test?
Old 10-30-2005, 12:06 PM
mastermind
Advanced

I've had the RE-750's on my car since I've owned it and they rock. A killer tire for the $$$$.

When I bought my car with 29kmiles on it, the dealer had put on a new set of RE 750s.

Car now has 54k miles.... rears were just replaced and fronts still have about 50% life in them yet.

I should mention that I have a separate set of tires for the track... and on the street I don't drive like a maniac.

t
Old 10-31-2005, 10:38 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't drive like a maniac either; triple digit speed is achieved effortlessly and with control on the streets of Manhattan. Ha!

Old 10-31-2005, 01:20 PM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

On the N rated issue, when I asked my dealership service advisor about tire recommendations, he gave me several non-N recommendations. Only issue he brought up was if the car is leased (mine is not), they want N-rated tires on the car when it is returned.

Quick Reply: Tire Opinions- Potenza RE750's vs. Eagle F1 GS-D3"s