Sponsored by:

Weekend Drives In Malibu

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 04:52 AM
Craig.
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Weekend Drives In Malibu

A number of So Cal members of this forum have inquired, both publicly and privately, about joining the weekend drives in Malibu that I recently posted about. I’m sorry for the delay in responding, but I am not the organizer of these drives and I wanted to check with more experienced folks before responding.

I immensely enjoy meeting with fellow P-Car owners and shooting the sh*t about our cars. In fact, much of the enjoyment of our weekend drives is derived from the meeting and discussion before and after the driving itself. In this regard, the more the merrier!

I do, however, have concerns about overly large drive groups. First, it is difficult to coordinate larger groups. People get separated for a number of reasons (different driving speeds, other vehicles on the road, traffic signals, etc), thereby slowing everyone down and causing significant waits. Additionally, large drive groups attract more attention, including from law enforcement, and from other motorists and local residents who might contact law enforcement.

Based on the foregoing, I propose the following. Anyone who is interested in meeting with fellow So Cal P-Car owners and driving through various Malibu canyons, come on down. Join us at the designated meeting spot, at the designated time (typically 7-7:30 am). We can all put faces behind names, share anecdotes and war stories, and admire each other’s cars, as we gather for the drive. Then, we can break off into small groups of 5 for separate drives on different roads (there are dozens of great driving roads in the area). We can also have a designated time and location when those so inclined can reconvene for coffee/breakfast and discussion about the just completed drives.

What do you think?

Craig (L.A.)
Old 10-30-2002, 04:57 PM
Dave P
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm game for the occasional jaunt. I need another 400 miles before break-in is completed. Would this be Saturdays, Sundays or both? TIA
Old 10-30-2002, 05:27 PM
pestodude
Intermediate

I'm in!!! When and where?
Old 10-30-2002, 05:42 PM
Craig.
Racer

The drives occur almost every weekend, both on Saturdays and Sundays, but more often Sundays. We meet early in the morning (e.g., 7-7:30 am), so that the drive doesn't interfere with our various other weekend commitments (e.g., family).

Our current meeting place is probably not appropriate for a larger gathering. It is a very small parking lot in the canyon and there is an adjacent residence. With a larger group, there will inevitably be more noise that would bother nearby residents. Moreover, we need additional space to park and mingle. Therefore, a new meeting place is needed.

There are two primary feeder roads to the Malibu canyons -- Las Virgenes/Malibu Canyon and Kanon. I suggest that we meet at a medium to large parking lot just off the Ventura freeway at either the Las Virgenes/Malibu Canyon or Kanon exit (e.g., the parking lot of a supermarket or larger store). The Kanon exit to the Ventura freeway is particularly desirable because there is a gas station right there selling 100 octane gas. Unfortunately, I am not aware of a suitable parking lot at Kanon. Does anyone know of a suitable parking at the Kanon exit? If not, I think there are appropriate parking lots just off the freeway at Las Virgenis/Malibu Canyon, and there are defintiely available parking lots at many adjacent freeway exists.

So, where should we meet? We need some input from the local folks.

Craig (L.A.)
Old 10-31-2002, 01:43 AM
Craig.
Racer

On my way back from Rusnak Westlake this evening (they have two X50s available), I did some reconnaissance in order to locate a new meeting spot for weekend drives in Malibu -- a spot that will accommodate a larger group of cars.

Las Virgenes/Malibu Canyon Exit

If you exit the Ventura Freeway at Las Virgenes/Malibu Canyon, go one block west, and turn right on Agura Road, there is an Albertsons Supermarket right there -- the large parking lot would make a fine meeting place -- we could meet at the corner of the parking lot immediately adjacent to the McDonalds.

Kanan Exit

There is a Chevron Station and Jack-In-The-Box (“JITB”) immediately adjacent to the Kanan exit. In between the Chevron Station and the JITB is an entrance to the “Kanan Village” shopping center located behind the Chevron Station and the JITB (there is an I-HOP behind the Chevron Station). We could meet in this parking lot, in front of the strip of stores including Sundance Cycles, Pool & Spa, Chinese Food, and Agura Liqueur. BTW, I was mistaken about the 76 Station with 100 octane gas being at Kanan -- it is actually adjacent to the Chesebro exit, one exit east of Kanan.

Personally, I think the Albertsons parking lot may be the better choice simply because, as far as I know, there are more driving options accessed from Malibu Canyon, as opposed to Kanan (although Latigo is off of Kanan). Moreover, some of the great roads (e.g., Shunt and Schureon) are actually east of Malibu Canyon and, thus, a trek from Kanan. If we elect to drive Latigo, or one of the other roads accessed off of Kanan, we can drive to Kanan via either Mulhulland or 3 mins on the Ventura freeway.

I propose 7:30 am on Sunday, at the corner of the Albersons parking lot adjacent to McDonalds.

Who is in?

Craig (L.A.)
Old 10-31-2002, 02:01 AM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Talking

Hey, I'll leave tonite from Cape Cod. Will probably get there by Sunday. Take a few pics so the rest of us who are putting on our hardtops and watching city employees take the tarps off the salt and sand piles. I, for one, am jealous..

Quick Reply: Weekend Drives In Malibu