Sponsored by:

1999 c4 spring change

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 01:01 AM
1colbrz
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 c4 spring change

Just finished a spring change on a 99 C4. Used the H&R's. It's easier than it looks. The fronts are a little tougher (axles) but not difficult. The rears are a breeze. It's a good time to install SS brake lines. You're already in there.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:11 PM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what do you think of the handling now?
Old 10-20-2005, 07:37 PM
1colbrz
3rd Gear

Default spring change

The car is flatter on corner entry. The ride is fine. The front shocks are really soft and might need to be changed.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:26 AM
BlackCab996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats - that doesn't sound easy for everyone to do - why did you change? Do you track the car or were you just looking for a tighter ride on the road. My 2000 C2 has 40,000 miles, and if I start doing mods, I would likely start with the suspension, but I haven't learned enough yet about the best way to go. I only plan on driving on the road.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:54 AM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackCab996
Congrats - that doesn't sound easy for everyone to do - why did you change? Do you track the car or were you just looking for a tighter ride on the road. My 2000 C2 has 40,000 miles, and if I start doing mods, I would likely start with the suspension, but I haven't learned enough yet about the best way to go. I only plan on driving on the road.
You've come to the right place for info on suspension mods. I recently installed Row 030 on my '99 Cab after reading every single thread in the archives on suspension mods. Lot's of great info here, lot's of helpful people. The improvement in the car's handling, even just on the street, is absolutely astounding.

Oh, and after you upgrade your suspension, PSE should be next!
Old 10-22-2005, 01:23 PM
1colbrz
3rd Gear

BlackCb996

The car had the US spec M030 and aero kit on it as a factory option but it needed to lowered. They are designed to be run at a lower ride height than US specs. The springs rates were just a little soft for my taste. The higher ride height also allows more air under the front of the car which contributes to drag and an "areo" push at high speeds. Lowering the car places the suspension at the "proper" angles, improves the aero, lowers the center of gravity, etc., which brings the car more in line with the design. I haven't tracked the car yet. I'm building a dedicated car for that (1977 911S). I may track the car at some POC events up at Willow Springs but just to play. At 3100 lbs the car weighs approximately what a NASCAR Cup car weighs. So a 996 is really a Grand Touring car and requires a lot of weight reduction ( 500-700 lbs) to get down to "nimble" status. Also, to really get the suspension in line with track car use the springs, shocks, sway bars, and struts would need to be stiffened up to a point that the streetabiliy of the car would be compromised. Minor improvements, to bring the car in line with the orginal design, will yeild enough improved driveablilty for most owners.

Quick Reply: 1999 c4 spring change