Sponsored by:

replacing air filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 01:25 PM
David Rotondo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing air filter

Is there anything I should know prior to replacing stock air filter. Looks straight forward. What is number/brand of OEM filter and where can I get.

Thanks in advance
02 Carrera Coupe
Old 10-19-2005, 01:34 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There are a few to choose from such as KN,stock and a B something or other. You can find them all over but check our sponsors first. If all fails go to your local P-car dealer.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:52 PM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

I have a K&N Filter and love it!! I won't go back to a stock air filter.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:56 PM
mundman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The BMC f-1 filter is thought to be the best for a high flow air filter.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:19 PM
Ekename
Pro

Just be careful putting the airbox back in and taking it out. It has two little plastic pegs that slide into holes in the engine bay and they are pretty easy to break off.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:00 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those reusable filter will have no noticible increase in power. The filter is hardly a constraint given its large surface area. Paper will filter better and oily filter may cause MAF sensor failure.

Changing the filter is pretty easy.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:21 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh not this debate again...

I'll accept that freer-flowing filters may or may not add to performance increases though their usage by racing teams seems to suggest that, matched with a freer-flowing exhaust and chip mods, they do. Then again, at 60-100 mph on the street, will one notice the difference? Who knows? It's a free market, do what you like. But I digress...

These non-paper-based filters do have a bit of oil. Letting them dry a little bit before installation is a good idea. But here's the key: the oil is mixed in an alcohol solution. When the alcohol evaporates, it leaves the oil residue...NOT a viscous glop of blackened motor oil. So, it isn't going anywhere but sticking to the filter. Think of it like hair gel. It comes out of the bottle wet in an alcohol solution, but as the alcohol evaporates (dries), you're left with a hardened styling formula. (Hmm...I'm not sure I like that I even thought about that analogy).

Speaking of MAF sensor failures, I used the stock filters on my old P-car and had that bugger alert ALL THE TIME. It drove me mad. I think it is something that is inherently hyper-sensitive and somewhat unstable in some Porsches. I DON'T think that free-flowing filters necessarily contribute to that type of alert.

Then again, what do I know? But, it's now 2 authorized Porsche dealers/service centers that I have spoken with who recommended BMC usage to me. It seems some mechanics seem to prefer them, particularly when paired with aftermarket exhausts.

Go Bucs! Thank G0d for the bye-week.

Quick Reply: replacing air filter