996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

RoW030 vs X74 vs PSS9

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 02:51 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've never run an aftermarket set of coilovers (Ground Controls on the s2000, tcklines on the e46 m3, and now pss9s on the 911) where the ride has been rendered uncomfortable because of the extra firmness, stiffness. you get what u pay for.

i go for adjustable coilovers for a firmer ride with good dampening and just as important, the better looks. all of this with day-to-day reliability.

pss9s are a street coilover along with the factory kits. if you guys are serious about tracking your 911, you need to spend about $1K per corner (MOTONS, Ohlins, etc) and also get someone who has a good feel for suspension tuning which is a black magic unto itself. but if you are serious about tracking the 911 and have graduated to these levels, you already knew this.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
Is RoW030 still agreed upon for the best trouble free from US spec upgrade?

I thought Speed Demon installed X74 a while ago with satisfactory results.

Has any PSS9 upgrade owners experienced problems after install and what is the proper height for mainly street setup?

I will be tracking in the future but given my current time commitment to work, track is not going to be a regular activity.
The ROW 030 and the X74 are both simple swaps. PSS9's are a little more difficult but a competent shop should have no issues.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roberga
An issue with the GT3 suspension is that it is designed for a car that is very different than the C2.
Not true, the GT3 uses a standard C4 chassis. It's a tad stiffer up front than the C2 chassis, but the GT3 set-up will work fine on it.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:00 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not just satisified with the x74...I really like it.

Very firm ride for rough roads, but smoother roads it does ride well, and the car handles great on the street and motorways. Can't wait to test it out on the track next year via DE's. Here's a link to the install which is really easy as it is an R&R, nothing to compress, just an alignment afterwards of course.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=54027

Last edited by TheSpeedDemon; 12-23-2007 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:23 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, I've had ROW M030 on my car for a couple months now, and I really like it.

At first, I was worried it make my car uncomfortable or harsh, but that is certainly not the case at all. It actually feels very similar to the stock suspension in terms of comfort, and going over bumps and crappy roads isn't an issue like I thought it would be. It made my car much, much better in the corners and it feels more stable. I drove to Michigan and back with this suspension and there was never a time that the extra stiffness grew tiresome or uncomfortable. It also evened out the stance and lowered it a little bit. I think it's the perfect suspension for the street.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:27 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
Not true, the GT3 uses a standard C4 chassis. It's a tad stiffer up front than the C2 chassis, but the GT3 set-up will work fine on it.
100% correct. The GT3 (996) chassis is in fact based on the C4. If has a marginal increase in rigidity that can be duplicated with additional welded points and supports on the front, roof and primary subframe.

C.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

but isn't a suspension tuned to more than just the chassis? the gt3 has more power, more brake, it is Very diff from a regular carrera, no?
Old 12-23-2007, 05:36 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

If it needs additional weld points then it IS NOT the same. The GT3 is seam welded which makes it stiffer. So if you just bolt on the parts and expect it to feel the same as a GT3.. it will not.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:43 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
but isn't a suspension tuned to more than just the chassis? the gt3 has more power, more brake, it is Very diff from a regular carrera, no?
I don't see why that matters..

You would end up with a Carrera with a very capable suspension. Just because you don't accelerate as fast a GT3 doesn't mean that for some reason it won't be able to go around the corner properly. And the brakes - how does that matter? The suspension doesn't care if you can stop 4 feet quicker from 70mph.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:45 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
I am not just satisified with the x74...I really like it.
+1 However, blingmeisters beware this set-up is not for the faint of heart. It is significantly stiffer than stock, ROW 030, or PSS9's.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:50 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

sorry but Ben is right. It all matters if you are at speed. Does not mean that putting a GT3 suspension will not be an improvement to stock.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:51 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

The GT3 is seam welded which makes it stiffer.
More misinformation. The standard GT3 is not seam welded, it is a standard 996 C4 chassis period.

I won't argue, that the engine and tranny are waaay different than the standard 996. However, you are mistaken to believe the chassis is significantly different. It is not.

Last edited by Ray S; 12-23-2007 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:56 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

sorry but Ben is right. It all matters if you are at speed. Does not mean that putting a GT3 suspension will not be an improvement to stock.
No what it means is that putting a GT3 suspension on a 996 will make it handle just like a GT3.

Furthermore, both a standard 996 and a GT3 can be improved to handle better than a stock GT3.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:08 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

That is why I have TRG and Moton's. However I am not kidding myself into think my GT3 handles like a Cup.

Last edited by roberga; 12-23-2007 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:29 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

An issue with the GT3 suspension is that it is designed for a car that is very different than the C2. The GT3 is a much stiffer tub. With that it requires a different suspension. Find a trustworthy local race shop. Their business is dependent on providing you the right solution. We can tell you anything.
Actually, there isn't that much of a difference between the 2. The only structural difference is in the front as the GT3 is on a C4 chassis instead of a C2. The structure is boxed between the front strut towers. There is absolutely no change in the rear structure between a C2, C4 or GT3. Only the 2nd generation 996 GT3s (03+ ROW or 04+ US) are built on C4 chassis. The 1st gen 996 GT3 (99-00 ROW) was actually built on the C2 chassis as at its inception, there was no C4 chassis. Hence why the 1st gen GT3 was so much lighter.

Here are all the suspension differences:

1. Different front spindles/uprights/hats. Contrary to common myth, they are not the same as a Turbo/C4/C4S. They are only common to the GT2 and GT3. The primary reason for the change is the different position of the brake mounting points to facilitate mounting the larger brakes from the Turbo. It is a different part from the 4WD cars, due to being designed for a standard spindle insert instead of a axle flange. C4/C4S/Turbo axles won't fit GT2/GT3 uprights.

2. Adjustable coilovers (Bilstein shock with H&R springs) instead of traditional coil springs fixed mounted to Bilstein shocks. These are a direct fit on a regular Carrera. The gen 1 ROW version was actually about 15% stiffer than the gen 2, which was tuned for slightly better road compliance. Both the springs rates and shock valving of the 03+ ROW/04+ US 996 GT3 is very similar to the ROW M030 spring rates and shock valving.

3. Adjustable sway bars with different end links. The sway bars are a bolt-on for Carreras, but need difference adjustable end links due to ride height changes.

4. Split front lower control arms versus the regular 1 piece control arms. The 99-00 ROW GT3 did not have split control arms in front. Those cars came with a reinforced control arms that was stiffer than the Boxster based ones that came on the early 996. One of the improvements for 02's was all 996 Carreras got the stiffer control arms that were used on the gen 1 996 GT3. The split control arms were introduced on the GT2 and later the 03 ROW GT3. They are a direct bolt-on to a regular Carrera.

5. The rear track arm is different on all GT3s. There is a slight length difference on the rear track arm for a slightly different toe-gain while cornering/loading the suspension. This is also a direct bolt-on to a Carrera.

As you can see, the suspension in the GT3 is really a bunch of parts that could be bolted directly onto any Carrera. The GT3 suspension can also be easily improved on: aftermarket boxed/split control arms with pivot adjustable track arm mounts, competition-duty inverted coilovers with adjustable shocks, monoball uprights, solid lower bushings and adjustable sway bar end links are all common upgrades for a GT3 to a more dedicated track setup.

Last edited by 10 GT3; 12-27-2007 at 01:58 PM.

Quick Reply: RoW030 vs X74 vs PSS9