Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Car sounds like a lawn mower--- Solid/Blinking check engine light -NOW WITH CODES?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 12:42 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just couldn't take, so it looks like I fixed it myself. I think some water or something got into the gas. As someone suggest in the begining, try some of the dry gas additive. Well, I did that and yesterday after a nice long hard drive, the CEL went away!!!! It was a solid CEL.

Sorry about the rant, just cannot take the car being out of service for two weekends in a row. Also, it looks like I am having a conversation with my self. I just wanted to clear things up, as there seem to be a ton of new owners on the board.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:11 PM
ZBlue996Kam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a long shot but how old is your battery?

I had engine hesitation in the morning and check engine light for O2 sensor for the last 2 months.

Everything is ok after I changed my battery two weeks ago.

The car don't hesitate any more and on check engine lights.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:27 PM
SPIKES
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by yetis
I even worked through an entire tank of gas. On Sunday, I fill up the car and leave it for the week.
you filled up again and the same problem? how could water get into he gas again ? it seems like you eliminated the original water/rain issue but there must be a different source for your problem.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:39 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by SPIKES
you filled up again and the same problem? how could water get into he gas again ? it seems like you eliminated the original water/rain issue but there must be a different source for your problem.
Since it's impossible to run the tank completely dry (without stranding yourself) he probably still had some residual fuel/water mixed with the new fill up. I'm glad the drygas solved the problem.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:49 PM
SPIKES
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
Since it's impossible to run the tank completely dry (without stranding yourself) he probably still had some residual fuel/water mixed with the new fill up. I'm glad the drygas solved the problem.
yea you are probably correct. does not take much bad gas to mess it up.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:39 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Sorry, was out of touch for a day. Yes, I am hoping that was exactly it Ubermensch. Not only do I have "dry gas", I also have the cleanest fuel injections system out there, after running all the injector cleaner stuff through it.
I know its all in my mind, but I think the car pulls better now, than it ever has.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:15 PM
StephenB
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I worked at a gas station back in high school. There is always a certain amount of water in the tanks. Anyone here besides me remember water paste and sticking tanks? The company had canned statements they used to keep customers at bay who complained about getting a tank full of water.

To reduce your chances of getting water in your gas...

Keep your tank at least half full

Don't buy gas if you see the tanker sitting in the lot. The new load stirs the tanks.

Wait a day after you see the tanker before you fill up.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:04 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

I thought I would update everyone on the end of this little sage. For a few weeks, I was ready to throw in the towel, and just sell the car. Yesterday, I got the best birthday present. I recieved a call from my new service/dealer, that they found the problem. This is after sending it to one service/dealer two times and not having the problem fixed. In the end, it was a bad coil and resulting two fouled plugs. The last dealer was "shocked" that the first dealer didn't find the problem. I guess some of you have had the pleasure of incompetent dealers, here is one more example and one more reason not to always trust your dealer.

While I am happy that the car is better, I am still a little irked that I missed all the nice weather in the car. Now that its 10 degrees out and snowy, its just not the same....
Old 12-08-2005, 11:25 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad it worked out, next time you swing by your new dealer, we'll grab a beer.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:37 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

What dealer did you take your car to the first time?
Old 12-08-2005, 12:23 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Riad: The one you suggested! Not bitter or anything.
They are really nice, just not that quick on the fix.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:44 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

That's extremely surprising, I wonder if they changed some people. I always go there for my maintenance, and my 2001 had been there numerous times without a problem.

Hey, **** happens, sorry it happened to you.

Quick Reply: Car sounds like a lawn mower--- Solid/Blinking check engine light -NOW WITH CODES?