996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Negotiation with dealer

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 06:19 PM
rmillnj
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recently got back into a '99 911. I had a Boxster to trade. The difference in total cash price between 2 dealers about an hour apart was $13,000. Starting price on two very similar certified 911's, was about $5,000 and the cash difference in the trade was $8,000. I am sure I could have worked the more expensive dealer a bit, but when they start that far apart, you have to wonder. Basic difference was one dealer in a high priced neighborhood with expensive showroom and not hungry, the other was very hungry and didn't have all the overhead. It pays to shop.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:56 PM
welshed
Intermediate

So here's the latest. They would not move at all on the price apart from throwing in the Porsche child seat. I offered them 4k less so walked and bought a new BMW M3 over the street which was my second choice for 6k under list. This will keep me going for 18 months to 2 years by which time I'll be ready to buy a 997. Thanks for all the input.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:41 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Welshed: Not bad... M3's are nice! You've got the right mindset to be successful in future negotiations (and I mean ALL negotiations, not just cars). Having a plan B makes the process that much easier and effective for you, and sometimes makes plan A happen as well.

In my case when I bought my first Porsche last year after waiting 30 yrs to make it happen. I was in no rush, to buy one, so my plan B was I've waited this long for one - I can wait a couple more years if I need to. And with such mindset, I was able to get about $20K off MSRP on a brand new 996 - my plan A. Mind you things were also working in my favor with the introduction of the 997. But after negotiations in 4 different dealerships, I was successful in 1 of them.

Never take no for an answer!
Old 10-12-2005, 03:06 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the M3, great value and performance. Enjoy the new car.

Your Porsche dealer is smoking crack for not moving on the price. Some salesperson are idiots for pricing their cars sky high and not leaving room for negotiation.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:12 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Check NADA and as gas goes up,Year comes to and end temp goes down so will the price. Also end of the month is the time to press !
Old 10-12-2005, 10:45 PM
mlambert890
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

The dealer was only smoking crack if they never sell the car (and Im sure they'll sell it). I see a continual disconnect from reality on the forums. The forums insist the 996 has no market and that the car is "max" $5-$8k less than what every dealer/private seller seems to be charging. Then you hear stories like this where sellers dont budge and the reaction is usually that the seller is delusional. Meanwhile, the cars are selling. If they werent selling, the sellers WOULD move. NO salesperson is "stupid" when it comes to this. They live by comission.

It's also interesting that I was also cross shopping an M3 when I bought my 911. The dealer budged VERY little on my 911 yet the BMW dealers were willing to move a LOT on the M3. I decided to not settle and bought the 911 anyhow since it was what I really wanted. I've got to wonder just how bad the 996 market is when legit dealers arent willing to deeply discount clean, honest cars. I think a lot of the bottom barrel prices that drive the perceived "average" are coming from cars with a history that have been cleaned up. The 996 ran a good 7 model years. The wrecked/resurrected scrubbed title junkers are starting to circulate and pollute the market. Lots of people will buy these examples for a "steal" and think they are PERFECT and then wonder the first time someone brings up that they think the car was in an accident or had paintwork. I used to see this a LOT with the NSX. It started to seem like 50% of them had been totaled at one point.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:14 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

996 is from 99-04. That's 5 yrs, not 7.

Dealer price is higher and that's why their cars sit for 2-3 months on average. If they still can't move it, they usually auction it off if they run out of floor plan. Use car is very profitable as dealers get lease returns and trade-in a lot. Their prices are significantly higher than 3rd party prices even if the car isn't certified. With most buyers, they feel safer buying from a dealer than some stranger. Unfortunately, they also pay for that. Dealer cars are often detailed and cleaned up (no dings, scratches) before putting on for sale. Therefore, their prices are higher too.

I've bought 2 used cars - one from dealer and one from private party. If you get a good PPI and do some research, you can avoid cars w history. It doesn't matter whether it's from dealer or private party. Dealers get their used inventory from people which don't disclose history of the car either.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:19 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

996 is from 99-04. That's 5 yrs, not 7.

It's actually six: 1999 to 2004 and I guess you could consider 7 since you could buy a 996 in 1998.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:14 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Actually, the 996 era is '98 to '05 (TTs, etc.)

Buying a new M3 now with the new and impoved model coming up next year is insane......you can almost hear the value dropping

Since they have changed virtually nothing on the car since introduction, a low miles '02-'03 makes much more sense.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:05 PM
welshed
Intermediate

Wow, didnt realize I was going to cause so many varied comments. Buying a new M3 at list price would not be a good deal but buying one at 5.5k under list seems like an ok deal to me. If you look on Edmunds at True Cost to Own a 2003 911 comes out very similar to a new M3.

Also, let's make sure we get the facts correct. The new M3 will not be on sale until 2007 and will likely be priced quite a bit higher than the outgoing model. 4 years included service with the option to extend it to 6 years for $1200 is also beneficial.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:45 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Fair enough, nice car. I'm just gun shy after the massive depreciation from my last new BMW.....ouch

Quick Reply: Negotiation with dealer