Sponsored by:

clear coat touchup?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 01:32 PM
droog114
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clear coat touchup?

So I just picked up my 2000 C2. There is a slight scratch on the driver side door. It's a scratch in the clear coat and does not affect the silver paint.

Any recommendations on how to fix this myself? I don't want to have to have the door sanded down and repainted. I am hoping there is something I can do myself...
Old 10-08-2005, 04:46 PM
UNC Nick
Instructor

Take a look over at www.autopia.org. You'll find more info than you could ever dream of there. If you're not used to detailing at more than a novice level, I'd suggest looking there to find a pro that can help you. If you're not careful, you could do more damage than you'll fix.

Here's a 50,000 ft. view of what you could do yourself, though:
Wash the car with dawn or professional wash equivilant to completely strip all waxes, glazes, etc. off the car. Clay the surface until glass smooth. Rewash the car. Use a professional class Swirl Mark Remover to hit the areas where you've got swirls. The best and most effective way to accomplish this is by Random Orbital Buffer. After removing swirls and minor surface marring, clean the paint with a paint cleaner or cleaner/polish (Klasse All-In-One is my personal favorite). Lastly, apply a sealant or glaze to add additional protection on the paint.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:09 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

If you are brave...get a clear paint pen, some 6000 - 8000 grit wet/dry sandpaper with cloth backing (Rockler Woodworking) and a cork sanding block. (I have done this on the Bimmer, but not on my p-car yet). Clean everything with Dawn, dry it well, let it air dry for a couple hours, and then go over the scratch with the paint pen (practice on something cheap first). Let it dry overnight, and wet sand the raised area with the cork block and sandpaper lubed with Mother's quick detailing stuff. Dry and check often. Be patient and don't apply much pressure. Do Not try it without the cork block or you'll be very sorry...you'll take the rest of the clear coat off before you level the scratch.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:28 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't the Porsche touchup paint come w a clear coat?

I'd try some wax and polish first.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:08 PM
trozenhorse
Racer

random orbital is the way to go and a must have in the garage as you wil get many of these while driving and enjoying your car...it is about $120 plus you need to buy some swirl scratch remover with an orange cutting pad....i bought this set up about 3 months back, takes care of all the marks....great to have...good luck!
Old 10-09-2005, 10:17 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

If you cant touch it up to your satisfaction, generally a clear coated panel has to be completely re cleared. There is no way to cut in clear with out showing a transition line . It will always be there. So you could reclear that whole panel with out going to the paint.
Just has to be to your satisfaction.

Quick Reply: clear coat touchup?